Friday, November 23, 2012

Traditions

I am a creature of habit.  I L-O-V-E traditions.  I can't get enough of the anticipation of doing the same things as a family year after year.  While they are the same things, they change.  Because we have changed.  So while it may seem repetitive, there's always something new to be discovered year after year.

One of my favorite traditions happens on the Friday after Thanksgiving.  After a small bit of time doing some Black Friday shopping, we spend the day ushering in Christmas.  Christmas decorating, Christmas music, and Christmas movies are on the menu for the day.  At the end of the day, we all snuggle in bed and watch Polar Express while sipping hot cocoa.  Since the kids are not normally allowed in our bed (I have issues with sharing my clean sheets with anyone other than The Hubs, and I've accepted that I'm totally weird), they find snuggling in our bed to be a bigger treat than the hot cocoa.

This year I wasn't feeling it.  Thanksgiving came a bit early this year, right?  Also, it's been super warm this year.  Whatever it is, I can't wrap my brain around the fact that in a few short weeks we will be celebrating Christmas.  (Do I say this every year?  I think so.  Weird.)

So, I declared we were going to put off Polar Express night for another night.  I thought my kids were going to have a heart attack.  Seriously.  You would have thought I was canceling Christmas all together. 

Today, I am thankful for kids who love tradition as much as I do because, even though they no longer fit our bed, it was super sweet to usher in this season, together, as a family. 

No comments: