Friday, November 9, 2012

He Is Beauty

Have I blogged too much about how I've been enjoying the Fall weather and colors?  Well, sorry.  Today was no different.  Tomorrow, there is a forecast for snow.  So, today I tried to go outside, as much as I could, to soak in the wonderful weather before it changes.

In our front yard, we planted a new tree about three years ago.  The tree previous to this one was the type that had green foliage and flowers in the early spring, and then turned purple for the remaining spring and summer.  The flowers were glorious.  They filled our neighborhood with a fragrance that was perfection.  However, once the leaves turned to purple, after the blooms faded, there was no more color change for this tree.  The leaves simply fell off in the fall.  That was it.  That tree died, and so we planted a new one.  Our new tree blooms in the spring (although the fragrance isn't as sweet), and changes colors in the fall.  This fall, in particular, the tree was radiant.  It is yellow in the center and red on the outer edges.  It looks like a glowing ember.

I smile each time I see this tree.  I have always adored trees that change color in this multi-color way in the fall.  They are my favorite.  However, I knew that the tree we picked out as a replacement, would not do this.  It is supposed to simply turn red.  (Which is gorgeous, by the way, especially in a state where all the native trees turn yellow.)  So, when I see this tree, I smile because I know that this tree doesn't have to look this way.  But it does.  Why?  I believe it's God's sweet gift to me this year.  For whatever reason, and certainly not because I deserve it, He has chosen to bless me in this special way this year.

Our devotional, that we study as a family, reminded us just a few days ago that God is in all things beautiful.   When I look outside, drive up to my home, or sit on the porch, and gaze upon this tree, I am thankful to be given this reminder that I have a God who loves me so much He chooses to give me beauty to look at each day.

"Worship me in the beauty of holiness.  All true beauty reflects some of who I am."
 -Jesus Calling by Sarah Young

No comments: