Wednesday, November 14, 2012

It's Like I'm Goldi-Locks

Wednesday mornings are my mornings to enjoy Bible Study Fellowship (BSF).  I love spending time chatting with other women about all that we have learned the previous week about God and His Word, and how that is changing them and the people they share life with.   I also love to study and to learn, and this study digs deep.

The group of women that meet on Wednesday mornings numbers in the 400's.  Give or take a few.  And many of us have small children (not yet in full-time school).  So, our particular BSF group also provides childcare.  The childcare teachers are amazing.  This is no drop-off, your kids run wild for two hours, hope no one dies affair.  The kids get to learn all about God's Word, have a craft, sing songs, practice sitting still for quiet time, they learn how to pray, and many other things in the two and a half hours they are there.  I know, not just because The Little Man was part of this program for three years, but because we are often recruited to volunteer.

Not going to lie, as thankful as I am for this program, this is not my favorite thing to do.  No, Ma'am it isn't.  While I'm always amazed at how well things are run, and how loving each of the teachers are, I would prefer to just watch behind some glass...or something. You know, like when you go to a zoo.

Today, was one of those days for me.  I was a childcare volunteer in the toddlers room.  These kids are between the ages of one and two.

Do you know how long it's been since my kids where that age?  Long enough for me to forget completely how to interact for longer than five minutes with these little ones.  Yes, some of my friends have small children, but no, I don't take them from their moms and hang out with them one on one for two plus hours.

Childcare is not an innate thing for me.

I just see tears, buggers, slobber, and can only smell poopy diapers (despite people telling me they smell so sweet).  Honestly, looking back on my life, I'm not sure how I even survived my own children's toddler years.  It was the grace of God alone that got me through that time.  Don't get me wrong, I love me a sweet infant, and I am totally digging this school age phase we are in, but from about 15 months through four years of age, you've totally lost me.   You know what's weird?  I don't remember feeling this way at all when my kids were little.  I think I even remember loving that they were so small and cute, and I never wanted them to grow up.

Today, I am thankful that they have indeed grown up.  I am so thankful to have a seven and almost ten year old.  They talk to me (and sometimes they aren't even sassy!), laugh with me, share their feelings, wipe their own noses (and butts!), clean up after themselves (even if the threat of no TV has to hover so close they can practically reach out and touch it), and they are just plain cool, sweet, and fun.  I recognize I am in a pretty sweet spot right now.  Even though I might have to deal with heavy heart issues (at times), they aren't too little, and they aren't too big.  They're juuuussst right.

I am thankful for this stage of life.

My "babies" coming home from a long day at school.

No comments: