Saturday, January 3, 2009

A Tale of Two Parties

Any mom of a child who has a birthday close to Christmas will relate to what I am going through. It is DIFFICULT to keep up the energy level needed to get through all the holiday wonderfulness, and then plan and execute a party for your child with said birthday.

I decided that this would be the year when The Girl would need to have 2 birthday celebrations. I felt as though it would be easier to do a family celebration with all the Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles and Cousins who, thankfully, want to be apart of the celebrations, and then a party where she could have all her friends come. I thought this would be easier since our family is very large and the idea of have a party with 50+ people there sounded oh, I don't know, INTIMIDATING.

And also expensive.

The Girl turns 6 tomorrow, and besides trying to pull myself out of denial, I have been trying to organize these two events. Today was the first get-together. The whole fam met up for lunch at one of The Girls favorite spots that can also make up a table that seats 23. Not many choices in that department, but thankfully the place she chose made my life easy by allowing us to use their banquet room as well as having ice cream and brownies available for dessert as part of the meal cost. Since everyone buys their own meal, it also makes this party the most affordable of the two. She had a great time eating with her cousins, having ice cream, and opening presents.

Next Saturday is the "friend" party. She has decided that she would like a GIRL ONLY tea party (another reason I decided to split the celebration into two separate occasions considering she has MANY boy cousins). For this occasion I will be leading a craft and serving tea to 21 little girls. TWENTY ONE! The Girl's class has a rule that does not allow her to only invite her closest friends. They are all friends, and they all get invites.

It will be crazy.

It will be fun.

It will be the last event of our Holiday Extravaganza. I will be going into hibernation for a while when it is over.

Rest is what I need.

No comments: