Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Animal Love

As I was putting The Girl to bed tonight, I noticed she had some company. I am used to her needing something in bed with her at night, but things may be getting out of hand.

As a baby, she had a security blanket from almost day one. I was OK with that. Actually, I wanted that. I wanted her to have something that made her feel secure when I wasn't around. At about four and a half years old, she decided that maybe she was too old for a security blanket.

On her own, she gave up her Blankie Boo. I didn't even know she had done so until one day she told me that she had been putting her blankie up on her window seat, instead of in bed with her. She said that whenever she needed it she would just look over at it and know that it was still there in the room with her, but she never went to go get it. She was so happy she could sleep without it. I was surprised she had done this all on her own.

Slowly, she started substituting things out for her Blankie Boo. Most recently, she has been tied to a stuffed pig. She calls him Wilbur, as in Charlotte's Web. Wilbur's been around for about seven or so months. Then about 4 months ago Dino joined in. Dino and Wilbur are fairly small so I didn't mind too much.

Tonight, as I tucked her in there were two more friends. Swirly and Fluffy have joined her. They are her new Webkinz toys she received for her birthday this year. They are quite a bit larger than Wilbur and Dino.

When I asked her why Swirly and Fluffy were in bed with her, she just stated simply that she needed to love more animals, and at the same time she hugged them all.

I can't stop that.

I won't stop that.

I realize that Wilbur, Dino, Swirly, and Fluffy are all Blankie Boo's without being a "Security Blanket", but I don't care. If she needs them, she can have them.

She and her future husband can figure out the bed territory thing when the time comes.

I shudder at the thought of how many "animals to love" she will have collected by then.

No comments: