Monday, September 1, 2008

A Farwell to Summer

This past weekend capped off the unofficial end to summer. Even though summer will hang around on the calendar for 3 more weeks, all things summer will be ending. Since summer is my most favorite season, I have been trying to soak up these last days as much as I can.

I did decide that we wouldn't be going to the pool. We went the week before to say our good-bye's, and truth be told, it wasn't very nice. The kids had a great time for about 30 minutes, and then they were done and cold. That's a sure sign of the ending season. I couldn't bear to have another cool day at the pool. It just leaves a bad taste in your mouth, and I don't want to ruin any feelings/memories we have of that place.

Instead we did other fun things. We had a date day. This is when Hubby and I go our separate ways, each with one child. That child gets special attention for the date. The Girl and I got pedicures. Since we let the toenails have a break during the winter months from polish, this very well could've been the last pedi of the season...*sigh*....The Girl is right at home in the salon with her feet being pampered. It's a little scary, I wonder what that means for us as she gets older, but so fun too. I love having the time with her and watching her pick out her favorite polish color (It was blue...she always has loved blue polish???). It was also a treat to watch her giggle as they massaged her little feet and legs.

The Little Man got some baseball lessons from Daddy. When we got home, there they were, all set up with an automatic t-ball thing. The Little Man could not have been happier. Every time he hit the ball, he would proudly exclaim, "YETH!" (That's YES! with a slight lisp).

After our dates, the Fam loaded up into the car and went to catch some bug action at the local IMAX theater. The Girl is such a scientist. She couldn't take her eyes off the screen, and I could see her studying every detail of this movie. The Little Man thought the movie was cool too. Not as cool as the popcorn though. I think once the popcorn was gone he lasted about 1 minute before saying he was ready to go. It took some serious persuasion and creative story-telling on my part to get him interested in the movie again. Thankfully, the movie was only 45 minutes long. It was the perfect length.

We also have spent some time in our garden. You always know the summer is nearing end when your veggies are ready to be picked and eaten. We have tons of peppers, cucumbers, and beans right now. I have chopped up the peppers and stuffed them in my freezer for some winter recipes, and the cucumbers and beans are getting eaten just about as quickly as we can pick them. Pretty soon though, we won't be able to keep up with the cucumbers. There are about 12 of them that will be ready next week. Anyone want a cucumber? Also, any recipes using Anaheim and Hot Banana peppers would be greatly appreciated.

(As a side note, when they named those Hot Banana Peppers, they weren't lying. I thought since they looked like their innocent cousin the Pepperoncini, they would be similar in heat intensity. WOW! I was wrong...so wrong. My lips paid the price for about 2 hours.)

Lastly, as a farewell to summer, we spent some time in some of my favorite open space near our home. I am sure you remember this Weeping Willow. We went back again to play. Here are some fun pictures of the kids this weekend.

Rolling around in the grass together:




Ring around the Rosies


**sigh**The Weeping Willow...


I hope we have a long Indian Summer...

No comments: