Friday, September 5, 2008

Is It Too Early for Hibernation?

It's cold outside. I think the high temperature today was in the mid 50's! I am so not ready for the Fall. Have I mentioned here that I am a summer gal? I know some of my friends are excitedly re-doing their closets, getting out their jeans, and looking for sweaters. They are seeking out their favorite pumpkin recipes, looking for the best fall greenery to decorate with, and some are giddy thinking about what this year's Halloween costumes will consist of.

I will tell you: that I will not redecorate until Christmas, I cried when I thought of putting on some jeans today, I never want to see my coat, and Halloween? Well, I will probably throw something together at the last second because I don't want to be a stick in the mud for my kids.

But clearly, I am a stick in the mud when it comes to Fall.

Why? Because fall leads to winter, and winter is L-O-N-G around these parts.

OK, I do like how pretty it is during the fall...and sometimes the crisp air smells good...Ya, I do like some of the fall greenery...and wreathes, I do love a good wreath.

So, today I got to do what I do best when the weather gets cold. First, I slipped on some Cozy's (aka PJ's, Comfy's, sweats, whatever). I am really good at wearing super warm, comfortable, soft, several sizes too big, and a bit worn out clothing. Hubby LOVES it when I walk around the house all dolled up in my jammy pants and XXL sweatshirt. Secondly, and most importantly, I eat. I think it might be part of the comfy thing. OK, I know it's part of the comfy thing. I totally comfort food myself into oblivion.

Tonight's goodness? Meatloaf, baked potatoes with butter and cheese, and broccoli. Thinking about this meal actually helped me to have a better outlook and attitude on the whole day because you can't eat that meal in the summer time. No, that meal is strictly for the cold months. You can't eat it in the summer because it is way too heavy and filling, and also because it takes an hour to bake...at 450 degrees. You can't work with those kinds of temperatures in the summer. So it's been a while since I have served some yummy meatloaf.

I'm sure I lost the majority of you with the mere mention of meatloaf, but it's true. I do love homemade meatloaf. I will only eat it if my mom or I make it. No one/where else. You just never know what other people/places will throw into that loaf. Also, you have to serve it with a baked potato and broccoli. It's the only way to eat it. The most perfect bite would be half a fork of potato (complete with cheese and butter already melted into it), half a fork of meatloaf and a small broccoli floret at the end. I NEVER mix my food. This however, is my one and only exception. It's perfection. At the end of the meal you are warm and stuffed, and the warmness stays with you all night long.

Hubby even made chocolate chip cookies. So I got to top off the meal with some cookie dough and then freshly baked cookies. It doesn't get more comfort food than that. I am so stuffed right now I don't think I could do much else besides sit here and type or sleep.

Which brings me to the last thing I do very well in the cold weather. Since becoming a mother, I have had to give up this last cold weather delicacy. There will be no napping the day away under some warm blankets, eating cookies, and watching movies. I miss it, but we get to do other things now. The kids broke out the dress-up clothes that they were way too busy to play with this summer. The Girl was a Tinkerbell princess and The Little Man was Buzz. They also broke out their blankets and pillows and played my all time favorite game "Night time"...ahhh, I miss that game.

One day, when the kids are older, I hope we get to play that game, but instead of pretending to fall asleep, we really do, and then I can return to what I do so well on cold days: nap the day away. For now, I will have to just over-indulge in the Cozy's and eating.

There's a Hot Cocoa calling my name before bed tonight!

No comments: