Monday, September 15, 2008

If You Can't Say Something Nice...

Playing outside before nap is always a toss up. You just never know if The Little Man will be too tired to play, but not want to admit he's too tired, and then throw fits over small things. Other times, he does great and will tire himself out for a good nap. Which is obviously why I risk taking them out close to nap time in the first place.

Today, he did well...for about 20 minutes. Then he was pooped out. He started getting whiny and grumpy. He didn't want to play nicely anymore. It's a frustrating transition because you can't tell right away what the problem is. Once you've got it figured out, you're already frustrated with the bad behavior. There are many times that I want to lose my patience and just let him know how annoying his behavior is, but I know that isn't going to help the situation. Then there are times when I accidentally slip out an opinion or two...I try to forget that those times have ever happen, but I am trying to be authentic here.

Today was a day I was able to keep my thoughts to myself, but The Girl was not.

me: Little Man, go get your motorcycle and bring it into the garage
P: Moooooommmmmy! (followed by an overly exaggerated sigh)
me: Come on. You can do it. It's your motorcycle and you got it out. Now it's time to put it away
P: (another audible sigh)(followed by whimpers) I just can't do it, Mom!
D: If I hear you say you can't do it just one more time, I am really going to get ticked off!

Hearing those words come out of her mouth made me realize the importance of keeping my opinions to myself.

No comments: