Monday, September 22, 2008

The Mall Is Full of Famous People

We needed to run some errands at the mall. I don't generally go to the mall all that often, so when I do, the kids think we are going on a field trip to a candy store. They love the escalators, or "Magic Stairs" if you are talking to The Little Man, and beg to ride them over and over as if we were at Six Flags. They also love the fountains, wide open corridors to run through, and the Pet Store. It's hard to keep them contained, really.

The Little Man must have had too much Star Wars on the brain today while we were there. Everywhere we looked there were characters from his new favorite movies. As we were driving in, The Girl thought she saw Obama entering the mall (there may be a bit too much of the Today show on in the morning or too many political ads running. (I'm going to go with both.)) She hollered out, "Mom! I think I just saw Barack Obama!"

I laughed and replied, "What? Girl, you are crazy!"

After a brief pause while she was more closely scrutinizing who she thought was Obama, she said, "Oh! Ooops! Nevermind. That's not Obama! That would have been crazy though because it would have been like 'WOW, we just met the president at the mall!' "

I was still giggling a bit and said, "Yes, that would've been crazy to meet Obama at the mall."

She came back with, "Well, that guy looked a lot like him, but ya, it would've been too crazy."

The Little Man wanted in on the conversation too. He rarely likes to be left out. He came back with, "Who are you talking about Wanie?"

She said, "You know, Obama. The guy who's trying to be the president...OBAMA!"

The Little Man said, "No, Wanie not the pwesident. He's on Star Wars. It's Chewbama."

Thankfully, she corrected him because I was laughing too hard.

Later as we walked down the corridor of the mall (OK I walked quickly because the kids were running at an Olympic pace), The Little Man stopped dead in his tracks in front of a gentleman talking on his cell phone. As I got closer I could hear that the gentleman must have had some sort of device in his throat/larynx/voice box because his voice sounded a bit on the robotic side. As I caught up to The Little Man, he remained still in front of the man on the cell phone. Finally, he loudly said, "Whoa! That voice is just like Yoda!"

Thankfully, he was still in a running mood because he scooted right along after that comment making it much easier on me to get out of there before I could really feel the embarrassment sink in.

Returning jeans has never been so amusing.

No comments: