Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Did You Say Grass?

Delanie is amazing me daily with her new reading skills. We have been working on reading really hard since the beginning of the year when I noticed she was teaching herself, and I didn't want her to get into any bad habits. After doing some searching back in October, I found a program that was completely doable for both her and I, and it just made sense. I wish I had found it back in my teaching days...I know a few students that this would have worked wonders on. I really love this program, and Delanie now reads like a champ.

The other day while she was reading a story to me, she came upon the word grass, and needed to sound it out:

Delanie: Mom, I don't know this word...I think I need to sound it out.
me: OK start with the first letter
Delanie: guh guh guh
me: Next letter
Delanie: rrrrrrr
me: Next
Delanie: aaaaa
me: Last
Delanie: sssssssss
me: Now say it faster
Delanie: Guuuhhrrrasss...Grrasss....GRASS! Grass, momma it's grass!
me: Yup.
Delanie: (giggling now) Momma, if you cover up the "G" and the "R" in this word you have just plain ass! (Laughing hard now)
me: (shocked and not knowing how to respond/what to say) Excuse me?
Delanie: It says "ass" mom! (still laughing)
me: (still trying not to fall over from shock as well as trying not to laugh) Well, what does that mean (really hoping here that she is going to talk about a donkey)
Delanie: You know like aaaaaccccid! They don't know how to spell acid!
me: (wiping the sweat from my brow) Ya, I guess not...that's kind of silly, huh..
Delanie: AAAACCCCid! Giggling some more.

That was a close call!

No comments: