Tuesday, April 8, 2008

The Return of Baboo

Even before my first baby was born, I knew that I wanted my kids to have a security blanket. There is just something sweet about it. Not to mention I really like the idea of them being able to be comforted by something other than myself. I was also blessed with children that barfed all the time. This caused me to constantly be carrying a spit cloth, and to them developing an attachment to this small blanket that was constantly being carried around with them.

The good news is: their blanket was always clean because I would make sure that I changed them out frequently. Secondly, since I changed them out frequently, they never got attached to just one. This made losing one of them not an issue. Which is important because as I found out quickly, babies are not responsible for their own things.

No matter how much they love them.

Both of my kiddies LOVED their security blankets and came up with affectionate names for them. Delanie called hers Bankie Boo and Pax calls his Baboo.

Bankie Boo was retired last summer by Delanie's own choice and with no pressure at all from Scott or I. She just decided that she was done and didn't need him any more (although he does sleep on her window sill still to this day in plain view just in case of an emergency)

Pax has not given up Baboo yet, and I am not expecting it to happen anytime soon. Which I am TOTALLY fine with. I think the day I do a load of his laundry, and there are no Baboos floating around, will be a sad, sad day. All that to say, he is not allowed to take his Baboos out of his room. They are for nap and bed time only.

It's not that I care if he is dragging around a Baboo at his age really, but more that whole "responsibility" thing. Surprisingly at almost three, he still can be careless and leave a Baboo behind somewhere or just misplace him somewhere in our own home. Since most of my free time is spent looking for sippy cups, I have found that I just don't have the time that is needed to fully commit myself as the "Baboo Lookout Person" in my long list of job descriptions. In the past 2 weeks though, Baboo has been let out of his room on more than one occasion.

At first it started in a kind of sneaky way. I would get out of the shower and there would be Pax on my bed watching TV with his Baboo. I would think it was cute, or be in a rush and have no time to fight it, so I would let it go. Then, he got much more bold about it. He would even tell me before I got into the shower, "Momma, I am going to get my Baboo and snuggle with him." Again, not wanting to fight over something so small, and being in a rush usually, I would allow it.

Today, he had out 3 Baboos. I was not in the shower, I wasn't rushing to go anywhere, and we were downstairs.

Clearly, things are getting out of hand in the Baboo department.

I decided I was going to get tough and put an end to the Baboo thing before he insisted on carrying all three with him wherever he went.

me: Pax, you are going to need to put those Baboos away, honey. We don't get to have Baboos out of our bed
Pax: No Momma! These are just my Baboos...
me: Pax, I am sorry honey, but if you want to have a Baboo you are going to need to go to bed.
Pax: No Momma! I can't leave him...I have to wuv on him. (Snuggles a blanket up to his cheek). I just need to snuggle him and wuv him. I just wuv him so much.

Basically, if you see me and my son out on the town with 5 Baboos, you now know that I am a SUCKER for the wuv.

...and a wimp too.

No comments: