Wednesday, April 16, 2008

I'm Smooth and Shiny

I finally had enough guts to go through with it!




I know, I know, those photos aren't the best things you've ever seen, but what I am trying to show you is, I chopped off the locks!

Right after Pax was born, I decided that I was going to grow out my hair. I think that decision was actually spurred on by the fact that I had realized that I no longer had the time to go get my hair done, and I was trying to make that realization look like I actually made that decision on purpose. Every time I have ever grown my hair out in the past, I could not get it past mid-shoulder with out going in and doing something different.

That's because perseverance is my middle name.

This time though, with the combination of lack of time and the motivation of Pantene's Beautiful Lengths program, I was bound and determined. Good thing, because almost 3 YEARS LATER, I was ready to donate. My hair isn't exactly the fastest growing hair out there.

So for 3 years now I have had long hair. I have loved my long hair. I could style it, not style it, wear it up, wear it down, wash it....I won't finish that in case we have some squeamishness out there. What I am trying to say with so much eloquence is that it was versatile.

I did however start to realize, as of late, that it wasn't really getting any longer. I also was really starting to look at short hair with a longing desire. Even more importantly, even though I was getting it trimmed about every 8ish weeks (sometimes longer in between) I was really getting annoyed with the split end situation. They were out of control, and my hair was long enough for me to thoroughly investigate each one all the time.

I. could. not. stop.

After getting home from Arizona, I decided it was time. I picked out a do and made an appointment. Then I went through the next week torturing myself with whether or not I had made the right decision or if I should call and cancel. When I realized I couldn't cancel because of the amount of grey hair shining through my worn out color, I figured I was stuck. Scott actually was excited for me to go get it cut. His approval really helped to warm up to the idea.

Until today.

About 2 or so hours before my appointment, Scott told me he changed his mind. He even hid my car keys. At that point, not only did the grey still need attention, but I thought it would just be plain rude to cancel out of my appointment with out proper notification. So off I went.

Here I am before:

This is by far the LONGEST my hair has ever been:


And here I am with my donation pony:


I think I have around 10 inches, but Pantene only needs 8 so I am definitely covered. I am happy that I was able to stick it through, and when it was all said and done, it makes me feel good that I have helped, in a small way, another woman feel good about herself on the outside, while on the inside she is battling much bigger issues than her appearance. I hope to be able to do it over and over again.

Plus, now I am all fresh and sassy for the summer...

Bonus!

2 comments:

lewister said...

Yay for you!! The new do is much more flattering than the long hair was. (Judging from the pictures!) I'm planning my donation for the end of May, also to Pantene. Can't wait to get rid of all this hair before summer. It's driving me crazy right now.

Jessica said...

looks great! way to go! i did it once (post kids) and have decided that all of the pros/cons of having mid-length hair outweight the pros/cons of long hair. as long as i can still pull it back, that is all that matters! have fun...