Monday, April 21, 2008

Well, Wouldn't Cha'Know!

A series of events have taken place in the last week-ish that have made me say, "Well, wouldn't cha'know." To be totally honest, there were a few other things that were said, but I am trying to keep this blog a happy place. A place where no one is afraid, and we all feel loved. I better just list them off.

1. Well, wouldn't cha'know that I am typing this blog for the first time on my very own brand new iMac. Yup, some would think, "hmmm isn't it just recently that you just got a new PC?" Well, my friends, you would be right. Actually, I got a new PC one year and one month ago.

"How do you know exactly how long ago you got your PC?" you wonder. Well, that's because when it DIED LAST WEEK we had to take it in for repairs. What started off as a one day minor fix up, turned into a few days larger repair, and is now close to a week and a "no way it can be fixed" type of situation.

So out we pulled the ONE YEAR WARRANTY.

Yup, we fell short by a month.

Well, wouldn't cha'know we are now the proud owners of a big piece of scrap metal that I would prefer not to be scrapped because it houses some important stuff on it's scrap metal memory. Thankfully, oh so thankfully, I am also the proud owner of a 500 gig external hard-drive that I kind of was hesitating in using. "Why get so fussy about backing stuff up on a external drive. My computer is brand new!" I kept saying so naively.

Thank you so much, wonderful hubby, you saved me from a frightening death in which I may have not gone alone. Because of you, I have all my pictures (100 gigs!) as well as client pictures, and of course, my sanity...somewhat. I would like to share what I have learned in this experience: EVERYONE SHOULD BE BACKING UP THEIR HARD DRIVES SOMEHOW.

Was that subtle enough?

Which leads me to #2

2. Wouldn't cha'know, that when you don't have a computer, or access to any of the files on said computer, THAT is when you need to get the most done on your computer, with said missing files.

Oh, yes my friends. I think this is what is called "Murphy's Law"...or something that is like Murphy's Law where basically the one time you NEED to get a lot of stuff accomplished you can't. I mean, computers don't crash when you are just lolly-gagging around through life, do they?

My poor clients. They already are VERY patient with me, seeing as how Been Blessed is a part time gig for me. Their patience for me has been above and beyond right now, and I thank each and everyone of them, and sheepishly, I ask for just a bit more while I continue to pull my act together.

3. Speaking of pulling my act together, wouldn't cha'know it's really hard to learn a whole new computer system (the Mac) while trying to catch up from a whole week's worth of work.

Again, the patience, it's amazing. I don't know how I'll ever be able to say thank you enough.

The good news is, I am forced right now to power learn everything I can right now and I should be able to run this thing with my eyes closed in about a week.

OK, probably not, but without having to try and get all this work done, I don't know if I would have had the push I needed in order to learn all that I am learning.

4. Wouldn't cha'know, that the week I didn't have my computer I got a LOT of other stuff done! I mean taking away the email, well, it was kind of liberating. (Shhh, don't tell Scott.) I felt so free. It was kind of nice not knowing about the loads of orders and such just waiting for me to discover them.

Then I got up and running again.

Not so liberating or free anymore. I have responsibilities again.

Not a bad trade off though because I also have a really cool computer to get all the responsibilities taken care of on.

Thanks, hubby for taking care of me this week!

1 comment:

Nicole said...

I am HEARTING my Mac big time. Sometimes it sits on my lap for so long that I wonder if the battery is over-heating or if I'm getting a tan.

I hope it's a tan.