Thursday, April 17, 2008

Mistaken Identity

I feel bad for Pax sometimes. Being the youngest of the 2, he kind of has to put up with whatever Delanie dishes out. I mean if she wants to play princess, he has to play princess. For a while he was dressing up as Snow White on a daily basis. Thankfully, he is now quite content with being either a prince or Buzz Light Year. If she wants to watch a show/movie he (for a while) would go along with whatever she chose. This kind of first born/baby of the family pattern permeates many facets of their co-existence.

(Whoa, that was way too many big words...I need to take a break and return once I catch my breath).

It was actually kind of nice. At least, Delanie and I thought it was. Scott, however, was not too thrilled to watch his only son play Snow White, prance around in heals, or endure many hours of "House" and "Cleaning Lady". I think what really started to push him over the edge was when Pax started talking about how when "I grow up I want to be a Mommy!"

Nope, it just didn't sit well.

I totally didn't care, and actually got a few good laughs out of all of it. I don't know who was funnier, really...Pax as Snow White or Scott squirming wondering if all of it was a sign of things to come. In fact, thinking back about it now, I am giggling just a bit.

Once he got turned onto Buzz and a myriad of other superheros, the sightings of Snow White have all but gone. Every once in a while I'll still see him in the heals, but it is usually when he wants to A) reach something or B) clomp on the hardwoods in order to make enough noise to give the whole block a headache.

I was a bit surprised today when, while at a shoe store, Pax started diving into all the women's shoes. Not alarmed, just surprised. It's been a while since he fancied a pair of sling-backs. There he was though, trying on every pair he could get his hands on (and that would also fit over the top of his Crocs...nope, he didn't want to take off the Crocs in order to try on the other shoes).

Then, as I was trying on a pair I hear a "Ohhhhh". I turned to ask him if he really liked the pair I had on, when I realized that he was looking at a pair he had on. A racy little pair of red strappy pumps. At first I just thought, "I know, son, I love me a pair of red strappy pumps as well. There just so..."

WAIT A MINUTE

Why is my son oogling a pair of red pumps?

Then I laughed at myself thinking back at how I used to laugh at Scott when he used to panic over the Snow White episodes. As I chuckled, Pax took it to the next level, and I am just so thankful that no one else was in the store and more importantly that Scott was no where around.

Pax walked the whole store in his red strappy pumps declaring over and over, "I Hannah-Ahtanna!" Yup, my son turned himself into Hannah Montana. I didn't even know he knew who that was. We've never watched her show, listened to any of her music, or own anything with her name or picture on it. I don't even remember ever talking to the kids about her, EVER! Somehow he knows who she is and that she wears pretty shoes.

I didn't make him stop.

I was still looking for a perfect brown summer sandal.

And it was funny.

Also, he walks well in a pair of heals with Crocs.

Lastly, it'll make for a great black mail when we have girls swarming around him like flies when he's older.

And really, that's what this blog is all about. Saving up on all the stories and pictures I can torture my kids with later on in life.

All out of love.

No comments: