Monday, April 14, 2008

Are Those the Bells of Freedom I Hear Ringing?

Today and this past weekend, my eyes were opened to the possibilities of freedom in so many ways I just have to list them out for you...here we go:

1. Paxton learned how to peddle this weekend! This is so huge! I've been trying to get him to master this skill for some time now as I know that: Pax learning to peddle=freedom to me.

Now he and his sister can ride off into the sunset. OK so they are only allowed to go as far as the fire hydrant, but now they can go on all kinds of adventures, with out my help, and within the confines of our "safe zone" in the cul-de-sac. Today, this triumph allowed for 1 full hour of outdoor time (in the BEAUTIFUL sunshine no less) with me not having to so much as lift a finger to help with racing or follow the leader.

Ahhhhh.

Here's that beautiful peddling little boy of mine in video and a few pics:.



2. Pax wore underwear all weekend! He also soiled about 10 pairs as well as the pants he was wearing. I don't know what we were thinking, but I thought he was ready for the next step of potty training. Apparently, I may have been mistaken. Although I am fearing the worst, that we may have to go back to diapers VERY soon, I still can hear those beautiful Freedom Bells ringing...in the very distant future...but they are there. In the meantime, I have this to look at and smile:

My little man in an old man's undershirt and a pair of panties...I mean underwear:


He's proud, but does not care if they are wet, dirty, or dry...

(Don't think you all just got away with not hearing about the horrid stories of our "Potty Training Weekend". Oh no! I am just still in recovery and part of the healing process is to NOT talk about it for a good few days. But when I have recovered (and dried off)...we have lots to discuss.)

3. Have I ever mentioned before how much I LOVE the warm weather? In case you are just tuning in; I must be warm, I love the summer, I am friendly in the heat, and I need high temperatures (that may have been a bit redundant, but all important).

Let's discuss the kind of freedom I feel when I can eat outside on the deck, out of the confines of a kitchen.

So, I guess there isn't much to discuss except, I FEEL FREE! I can hear the birds sing, the sun warms my skin, my food tastes better (it's weird, but true), the air is fresh, my children don't seem as loud or as wild, and the TV isn't blaring in my ears.

Bliss.

4. Lastly, Delanie opened my eyes up to a whole new freedom that I wasn't really all that aware of, but will definitely take full advantage now that my eyes have been opened afresh. While we were eating our wonderful dinner outdoors tonight, we were watching some birds make a nest in a nearby tree.

They were flying from a tree in our yard and picking off the dead branches (there is a whole different freedom right there...free landscaping), and then flying to the other tree to add to the nest. At first we only saw one bird, and then another came into join. The second bird was obviously the female, as she was much smaller.

Scott made the comment, "Well, there's the mommy bird. I am glad she finally came around to help the daddy out."

Delanie shot back, without hesitation, "Daddy! Don't you know that's because the daddy's are supposed to do all the work?"

Scott questioned back, "Why's that?"

"Because, they're the daddies. It's their job to do all the work around the house," she replied.

And again, I heard those beautiful bells.

No comments: