Thursday, April 10, 2008

A Tiny Peek into the Future

I am happy to say that I might have a small inkling to what it will be like when my sweet little bundles of joy are old enough to rush to the mailbox, run inside wild with excitement, and with out any hesitation tear open that special envelope to see if they have made it into the college of their choice. Then as they dance gleefully, we all will hug, cry tears of joy, and I will probably squeal a little as we celebrate in their acceptance.

Not that I've thought about this moment.

You know, since they haven't even started school, I don't want to get too far ahead of myself.

We are, however, about to start the wild adventure of school-aged kids when, Delanie, heads off to kindergarten this fall. There is a school in our area that is highly sought after by many parents in the area. So much so that parents put their children's names on the waiting list pretty much on the way home from the hospital. Since I was not aware of this, nor was I thinking about kindergarten while birthing or during the first few days of Delanie's life, I did not get her on this list until she was 6 months old.

I know...the horror of it all!

I did long for her to go to this school, but considering how far down on the list she was, it wasn't looking good. After looking into our other options, which included our neighborhood school (which is also very good), I felt pretty comfortable with the idea that she wouldn't get to go to the school we had hoped for, and that the neighborhood school would be our school for the next six years.

After finally getting Pax signed up with a pre-school for the same hours Lanie would be in school, we were ready to start the new year in August, and I was set up to be free of kids for 3 whole hours on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. It was going to be pure bliss.

Then a phone call rocked our world.

Yesterday, Delanie got offered a kindergarten spot in the other school. I accepted that spot for her on the spot with some school-girl giggling and a euphoria that I haven't felt since...well...I guess since last week when I was in Arizona. I didn't even think to ask Scott what he thought.

Immediately after I hung up the phone and had made all arrangements for Delanie at the new school, I called Scott. He too was over joyed with the news.

How could something so small make us so happy?

Happy enough that I am blogging about it...

I've become one of those parents, haven't I?

2 comments:

jntwrigh said...

That's awesome! Congratulations!

Nicole said...

i am so excited for you!!!!! that is great news, for sure!!!