Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Ramblings...

To stay true to my subtitle, I am going to ramble about NOTHING tonight, because...well, I have no idea. Just some thoughts for you all.

1. Persistence pays off big for me this month. You might be thinking I have found some secret diet and have lost a huge amount of weight and look down right fabulous, but no. I am actually talking about finally getting the pay off from MONTHS of using Dream Dinners. This is one of those places where you can make all your meals for the entire month in one evening and then you freeze them. My Sister-in-law and I started going there exactly 13 months ago.

It was about our second or third month in a row that one of the ladies that works there informed us that if we were able to come monthly for 1 full year, we would be able to get our 13th month for free.

Well, we jumped all over that. First of all I have never used a coupon that big before. Seriously, an entire month (street value: approximately $165) of free food. I mean if I could get a whole free month of food, I'll do whatever it takes. Of course that was until about month 8 or 9. That's when my Sister-in-law and I looked at each other and almost started crying. The food wasn't that bad, but it was a commitment that turned out to be bigger than we thought. We had to eat A LOT of food to get to this month.

Surprisingly, I will be going back there. It does save us money every month, it's easy, and it really isn't bad food at all. We've tried so many new things this past year, that there would be no way I would have ever tried any other way. However, I will enjoy this month's free food because we earned it. I will also enjoy the food because we will eat it at a much more leisurely pace.

2. Padded bike shorts only kind of work. For as expensive as they are, I would expect that those padded bike shorts, you know the kind that protect your booty and all other important parts from the rock hard seats on bikes, would work better than they do. I was actually kind of hoping that when I sat down on the bike seat before spin class today, that I would feel like I was sitting on a couch.

No such luck.

When I tried them on, I actually laughed because there is so much padding in those things, I was walking a bit bow legged. It felt like I was wearing a cloth diaper. I was happy to read on the tag that said padding was absorbent enough to probably actually act as a diaper if needed.

After the great "Sweaty Stationary Bike" incident of 'o7 I was feeling confident that with all that padding I might be able to walk out of the rec center with all my dignity in tact.

These babies were super squishy and absorbent, which I am pretty sure are both good things when you are trying to find the perfect bike short.

I have to say, now that it has been about 18 hours since my class, they were not squishy enough. I kind of knew that right away too. I just didn't want to admit that that amount of padding was doing me no good. Plus, I can't take them back so...I have to make them work.

Why O WHY are those bike seats so stinkin' hard? Seriously people! It's a spin class. Clearly we are not going anywhere so I don't want to hear about how the seats need to be aerodynamic or anything like that. Put a big ol' squishy seat on those bikes for crying out loud!

Some people will say "Oh after a few classes, you just get used to it. You know like building up a callous or something."

Really?

I don't want a callous there.

Thankyouverymuch.

3. Lastly, I am old. For my birthday this year I went to see Horton Hears a Who and have eaten at both Sweet Tomatoes and Red Robin. Why? For the sake of the kids. And also, I will admit it...I kind of like both of those places. The movie wasn't bad either.

When one of my younger sisters asked what I did for my birthday and I told her, she just paused and said "Seriously?" I said hesitantly, "Well, ya." She then said, "Well, were are you going to go when you can choose and go without the kids?"

I COULD NOT THINK OF ANYWHERE ELSE!

They sounded perfect to me.

I guess I have been eating too many Dream Dinners.

2 comments:

Tara said...

Mandie--I'm supposed to try a spin class on Saturday for the first time. I don't have padded bike shorts. I'm scared. And did you take Pax to the Horton movie? I've been debating taking Savannah, but I wasn't sure. What do you think?

Nicole said...

I chose Red Robin, too.

Seriously, the free $9 hamburger speaks to me. So do the onion rings. And milkshakes.

Do I have to actually WEAR a bathing suit next week?