Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Is This Really Where We're At? Already?

As the children "attempted to nap", and I attempted to do my bible study, I kept hearing what sounded like crying coming from Lanie's room. It was escalating so I decided to take a peek at what was going on, because if I know one thing about Lanie; she doesn't usually get any quieter with the crying. This time was no different.

By the time I got to her room to check on her, she was almost in full force tears with a slight hint of a scream. I opened the door expecting to see her in her bed crying because she didn't want to nap, but was surprised to see something, or someone, different.

There she sat, Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz at her "Little Mermaid Vanity". She was crying her eyes out as she looked into the mirror. I asked, a bit surprised at the site of my daughter in full costume at nap time, "What's going on?" She exclaimed, "I just can't stand it!"

"Stand what?" I asked.

"My hair!" She cried even louder. "Can't you see how horrible it is? It's all bumpy at the top and not smooth at all," she said as she ferociously rubbed the top of her head so hard that I could see she was actually ratting it up as we spoke.

Then she pulled it and declared ever-so-dramatically "I HATE my hair...It's just so stupid! It NEVER works the way it's supposed to. It's supposed to be flat on top, and just look at it, Mom, it's all bumpy everywhere." She continued to smack the top of her head over and over.

This was not what I was expecting when I opened her door. Not at all. First off the Dorothy costume was a bit of a shocker. Secondly, the tantrum she was having over her hair was giving me deja vu.

I mean, I know for a FACT that I have had the same exact tantrums over my hair. I too have screamed and cried over hair that wouldn't lay smooth. I also have been known to get so mad that I would smack myself on the head thinking that some kind of force would surely make it lay down right. The thing is, I don't remember having these kinds of issues until I was well over the age of 10...OK maybe even 12. I am certain I wasn't FIVE!

How can this be happening this early?

We have such a long road to travel.

No comments: