Monday, March 10, 2008

I'm Old

This weekend I attempted to get some shopping done. With Easter coming up, I thought I would get the kids new outfits as well as something for myself. I have never been more frustrated, and I was doing something that I really, really, really like...which frustrated me even more.


After going to many stores and running into the same problem at each one, I discovered that it wasn't the stores' problem. It was me. I am old. And not hip. And have no sense of style anymore.

Here's the first problem. Easter is REALLY early this year. In Colorado that equals cold. When I am shopping for Delanie and I, I am not going to go for the sun dress look.


I want sleeves please.

And probably tights (not for me...I am not that fashion illiterate).


But if I am going to sport a dress...I need something for my legs because besides it being cold, it's March people, and I for one am the same color as paste.


So, that is issue numero uno: It's cold, I'm not wearing a dress, and give me sleeves please.


Problem number two is where I just feel plain old...I just don't get the "in" fashions anymore.


Take this example:



Looks innocent enough, right?


NOPE.


When I go to try on a dress or shirt (because right now they both are made/cut the same way just one is shorter), it looks like 1 of 2 things. Either I am cleverly trying to hide a cute little baby bump (as Hollywood affectionately calls them) or I ate too many brownies this Winter (which may or may not be true). Either way, I don't want people looking at me wondering.






Kind of like this lady might have. She looks super cute from the front, but turn to the side, and I know every one's eyes fall too her waist line (or lack there of) to see if she's trying to hide something.

Please, don't get me wrong, both dresses are adorable, but just not for me. Silly, OLD, not pregnant, maybe ate too many brownies, me.



Then what they want you to do next...well, it just makes me feel ancient because it's a fashion that has COME BACK INTO FASHION. I remember as a child hearing my mother say, "Oh gosh, that used to be in style when I was a kid!" I thought she was ancient when she said those things. Apparently, she was just in her 30's because now it is happening to me with this style...




I am sorry, but I have worn my fair share of leggings, and I don't care how uncool I become by not giving in.

Not that there is anything wrong with leggings. As long as you are under the age of 25, weigh less than a 5th grader, and have absolutely no bodily signs of giving birth (ie hip spreadage or droopy booty) I say go for it. Since I am disqualified by ALL of those requirements, if you ever see me in a pair of leggings, you have my permission to beat me.

That is my 2nd shopping frustration.

In a nutshell.

And trying really hard not too sound too frustrated, but wanting to get my point across.

So, all that to say, I came home with a new top to go with a pair of pants I already own, and since I wanted sleeves, it doesn't look very Easter like at all...

I guess I am still not over it.

3 comments:

Meg said...

i feel your pain -- having just gotten over the whole maternity clothes thing, it's quite depressing that everything either looks like maternity clothes or it looks like it came out of my 5th grade closet! if you can remember when was cool the first time you are too old to wear it again -- sad on 2 levels: 1 = i'm old; 2 = it really wasn't flattering on anyone in the 80s either!

Allison said...

AMEN SISTER! I can't stand it either, and since I'm plus size, I really get the PG stares in those dresses... it stinks.
~Alli from waiting friends

Christina said...

I would say I have to agree~ I am scared of the summer clothes! THe shorts seem to get shorter as the tops get higher....We need a Mom to design some figure friendly modest clothes that aren't for granny. It seems there isn't much for the in between.
christina