Thursday, March 6, 2008

The Litttle Details

Currently, we (Scott and I) are working on the uphill battle of teaching our children manners. Sure, they say please and thank you. They will say, "excuse me" for a sneeze or other unmentionable noises. They will even say, "bless you" if you sneeze. It's time now, however, to start getting a bit deeper.

Recently, it seems as though every time I try to have a conversation with anyone besides Paxton, Paxton must interrupt and be apart of that conversation. He has been very eager to be apart of whatever everyone else is doing. Even if it's only to say/ask something simple like "What color do you like?" or "Toy Story is my favorite". The problem is with the way he tries to get your attention. It's like there is an emergency that cannot wait.

"Mommy! Mommy! MOMMY! MOOOOMMMMYYYYY!"

There is no finishing your last thought or completing a sentence. Somehow, he knows how to just kill any complete thoughts with his unrelenting need for your immediate attention. Only to find out, "Mommy, I can see you in this picture."

Needless to say, we are trying to work on a way to stop the interruptions. This is difficult. Much, much more difficult that I thought it would be.

Scott and I decided that, to start off with, we would tell Pax that he needed to say "Excuse me" to the adult he was trying to get the attention from. I don't know what we were thinking really except that we thought it would be nice to hear a little boy gently saying "Excuse me, Mommy" and then he would wait patiently for just a moment while I finished what I was saying and then I would turn to him and say, "Yes, Son". Then he would tell me whatever information that needed to be relayed.

Sounds dreamy, doesn't it?

Seriously.

I don't know what I am thinking when I hatch these little plans up in my mind. I mean if it where that easy I probably wouldn't have to come up with these ideas in the first place.

So now I guess you could say we need a "Plan B" or "Step 2" in this process. Pax is saying excuse me. He even uses it when he wants to get his sister's attention, not just Scott or I....which was cute. It's just that it isn't quite as dreamy as I dreamed it up to be.

Instead of "Mommy. Mommy. MOMMY. MOOOOOMMMMMMYYYY!" we have "Excuse me. Excuse me. EXCUSE ME. EEEEXXXXCCCCUUUUSEE MEEEE!" So I suppose "Plan B" might consist of the whole waiting and being patient and then only saying it once.

It's the little details that make all the difference.

No comments: