Friday, March 21, 2008

Perspective

There are days when all I can do is think about life as one big obstacle. It seems like everything in front of me is a mountain and I am at the bottom looking up wondering, "How in the world is this going to be possible?". I feel like I go through those days just fighting, and looking for something to fight about. I am "making mountains out of molehills", as they say.

Today as I was driving to a friends house, fighting something small that I had made big in my head, Delanie asked me, "Momma, what's Good Friday?" Apparently, the radio personality had been talking about how today is Good Friday, and she was listening as I was duking it out in my mind.

I explained to her that today was the day that Christ died on the cross for our sins. Then 3 days later he rose again, and that would be Easter. She said, "Ya, mom, that's why we have Easter." And then went on to say, "The tomb was empty!" Chanting back what she had learned in school the week before.

I continued to talk to both kids about Good Friday, sins, forgiveness, the empty tomb, and Christ's victory over death. You know, the normal conversation you have with a 5 and almost 3 year old. I can't be sure, since I was driving and all, but I am pretty sure had looked back at their faces, I would have seen the most blank stares that have ever been made by any children this side of 1-25, maybe the whole state.

I got on a roll...what can I say.

Here's the thing, I think I needed to be reminded. I needed to sit on and think about exactly what Christ overcame. It wasn't just a bad day. Christ was victorious over death. D-E-A-T-H, DEATH!

He beat death.

I needed to be reminded that all the battles I fight, no matter how big or molehill-ish they are, Christ has already won the biggest battle, and therefore He is BIGGER THAN ANYTHING I CAN EVER BE STRUGGLING WITH.

So then, like my mind usually does, I started thinking of a song that reminded me of what I was pondering. It's Newsboys "In Christ Alone" Here are the last few verses(italics mine): (and if you want to listen to it and watch a video)

There in the ground His body lay
Light of the world by darkness slain
Then bursting forth in glorious Day
Up from the grave He rose again
And as He stands in victory
Sin’s curse has lost its grip on me
For I am His and He is mine
Bought with the precious blood of Christ


No guilt of life, no fear in death
This is the power of Christ in me
From life’s first cry to final breath
Jesus commands my destiny
No power of hell, no scheme of man
Can ever pluck me from His hand
‘til He returns or calls me home
Here in the power of Christ I’ll stand

I am so thankful to say, I spent the rest of the day very peaceful and resting firmly in the fact that there is nothing, nor will there ever be, that is too big for my God.

It just won't happen.

All because Delanie asked me what Good Friday was.

Through my child, God changed my day. Glory!

Happy Easter!

No comments: