Wednesday, January 9, 2008

A Walking Infomercial

My daughter has a WONDERFUL memory. At times it is so good, it frightens me. She can remember names (first and last) of people she has met only once, and really has no reason to remember. She has several of her books memorized word for word (even some that have only been read a few times), remembers dates, and can recall conversations that I wish she wouldn't. When people tell me, "Don't worry about it, she'll never remember..." I wince because I know she will.

Lately, it seems like her "thing" is commercials. She can recite entire commercials about the most random stuff. The thing that has me cracking up is that she uses lines (exact verbatim most of the time) in completely correct context while having conversations with others. Here is what our walking infomercial has to say:

me: I think we should use this body butter today instead of lotion. It has been really dry out and this will help.
Delanie: Yea, mom, when it gets cold and dry out, it can really make your skin feel tight and scratchy..you know, like a tight wool sweater. You use healing cream for that.

Scott: One last dish and we'll need to get the dishwasher started.
Delanie: You now dad, we should switch to the red power ball. It's new, and it will clean the dishes and leave a really sparkly shine. No spots either.
Scott: Really?
Delanie: Yea, next time you're at the store, you should get some.

At Target using her gift cards from her birthday:
Delanie: Oooooh look! Wets and Wiggles Baby Alive!
me: Yup...you aren't really that fond of baby dolls. I don't thing you'll like that toy.
Delanie: But, mom, she looks and acts like a real baby. She's a baby so real that when you feed her she will wet her diaper later.

Same shopping trip:
Delanie: Oh! I want some Moon Sand! Mommy, I pick Moon Sand for my present.
me: Ummm..I don't think so. It's kinda like Play Dough...kinda messy and we could only play it in the Summer time outside. Don't you want something you can play with now?
Delanie: But mommy Moon sand sticks together so there is no mess! It's a fun, clean, and easy to use!

If she tries to sell me one of those rotisserie cookers, we are really going to have to consider cutting back on TV time.

No comments: