Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A Step in the Right Direction?

Well, we are still living in Potty Training Land. This is not a land I like or want to be in. However, I guess since I am a mother, I have to visit. Like I have mentioned before, I didn't think we had tickets to visit this land until early this coming Summer. My little man changed that, and here we are.

In addition to the steep learning curve I have been forced to climb (what with all the new equipment and such), we have now entered into yet another messy situation. My little man has figured out how to take off all clothing and diapers and sit himself on the potty.

Some might say that this is a step in the right direction. I would say, it is a step into a big mess. That is what happens when a little boy, who doesn't know how to tuck important parts, decides he is going to do this potty thing all by himself.

When he told me excitedly yesterday that he had used the potty, I was surprised. I had no idea that he had even gone into the bathroom, let alone used the potty. When I looked into the potty chair and only saw about 5 drops, my eyes went immediately to the floor. Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it), I had almost made a step in the wrong direction.

He did earn a jelly bean, but we (Scott and I) had to have a little talk with him about using the potty alone. It just shouldn't happen. This was tough, we were proud of the little man, but totally horrified at the idea of what lie ahead.

I am having nightmares now of my once nice, clean, fresh bathrooms becoming...well...not nice, fresh, or clean. Worse yet, not knowing if my bathroom is nice, fresh, and clean and sending someone (or myself) unsuspectingly into a war zone. I have a feeling there may be a bunch of wet socks in our house for a while.

Would it be weird if I just kept him in diapers for a few more years?

No comments: