Thursday, January 17, 2008

Mommy's Helper

Somehow, we have gotten into potty training mode in this house. I say somehow because I wasn't really planning on it to happen, it just did. I really was planning doing some training this summer when Pax turned 3, but once he got a taste of those jelly bean rewards...it's all serious business now.

I can't even mention changing his diaper without him freaking out and wanting to try to go on the potty. Even when I know he has just gone. There is no talking him out of it either. The kid wants those jelly beans. I can't say I don't blame him...they are Jelly Belly's.

Somewhere along the way, we all were eating Jelly Belly's every time he had success in the bathroom. I think the first celebration of success was so wonderful, we just kept on. It only took a few days for me to realize, "Hey, I just can't eat this many jelly beans, and not see the results of this bad habit creep up on me." So I quit. This was not as easy for Delanie, who doesn't understand that line of thought.

I told her yesterday that from now on, if Pax uses the potty he's going to get rewarded, but she was not. Of course, I got the whys. So I had to tell her that Pax was learning something new, and doing something for mommy so he was getting rewarded. If she too would like a reward, she was going to have do something for mommy as well. This led to a chore talk, behavior talk, and responsibilities discussion. It's never easy to explain why you have to take candy away from a child.

This afternoon, Pax went to use the potty. Sister was already in there doing her business as well. So there they both sat. When Pax was done, he was hooting and hollering. Delanie, was congratulating him and reminding him that he was going to get jelly beans.

Once we all got cleaned up, it was time for our reward.
Delanie: Mom, aren't you going to give Pax some jelly beans?
me: Yea, Pax is going to get a treat for being a big boy!
Pax: Yea, I get some JELLY BEANS (growly voice for jelly beans)
Delanie: Yea, Mom, me too!
me: No, Delanie, remember we talked about this. You have to earn jelly beans. Pax earned his by being a big boy, and you can earn some to by doing chores or helping mommy out somehow.
Delanie, without missing a beat: I did mommy I did a really important job.
me: Really? What's that?
Delanie: I watched him with an Eagle Eye the whole time he went pee.

So, Delanie got some jelly beans because, in our home, I reward my children for being quick and witty.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Love that Lanes!

Quick wit should ALWAYS be rewarded. You have taught her well.