Monday, January 28, 2008

Good Run...Good Song

I like to take advantage of my running time. I love to blast my iPod with worship music and praise my Father. There are all kinds of things I like to praise Him for. His character, answered prayer, stuff I am going through...all kinds of things. Praise. That's it, just praise. It makes me happy, and full of joy to think about all of the things God is and isn't and what He can do. On most days, it's also a really good attitude adjustment. There really is nothing better than taking the focus off of myself and praising my Father.

Two Sunday's ago, we started a new series at church called Why. Through out the series we looking at different Christian practices and asking the question, Why? Why do we do the things we do as Christians? The first lesson was on prayer. Our pastor introduced something new to me. Something I had never considered. Ask God to tell you how much He loves you, and then sit and wait quietly.

Of course the Bible tells me that I am His beloved child, but I have never thought to ask Him to tell me exactly how He felt. I guess, even though it goes against what I have learned, I was kind of scared. What if it wasn't all I had hoped for?

Well, last week, I tried it during a run. I waited...and got side tracked. Tried again...and got side tracked. I went back to praising. I really wanted to stay focused. Today, I tried it again, but instead of getting side tracked, I went on to praise Him for loving me despite all I do, think, and feel.

Then, with my iPod set on shuffle, it came on. "I've Always Loved You" by Third Day. In case you are unfamiliar, here are the lyrics (emphasis mine):

I don't know how to explain it
But I know that words will hardly do
Miracles with signs and wonders
Aren't enough for me to prove to you

Don't you know I've always loved you
Even before there was time
Though you turn away
I'll tell you still
Don't you know I've always loved you
And I always will

Greater love has not a man
Than the one who gives his life to prove
That he would do anything
And that's what I'm gonna do for you

Don't you know I've always loved you
Even before there was time
Though you turn away
I'll tell you still
Don't you know I've always loved you
And I always will

Don't you know I've always loved you
Even before there was time
Though you turn away
I'll tell you still
Don't you know I've always loved you

Don't you know I've always loved you
Even before there was time
Though you turn away
I'll tell you still
Don't you know I've always loved you
And I always will

I had to hit repeat just to let it sink in. Amazing. Each song there after, had reminders through out about how much the God of the universe loves me. I can't wrap my brain around it sometimes.

He feels the same way about you!

This was an attitude adjustment, alright! Just what I needed.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

If we ever start running together, we will be a loud-singing, hand-raising, blubbering MESS.

Bring it!