Thursday, January 24, 2008

Getting Someone's Attention

It's no secret that when Scott and I were coming up with names before our children were born, we often would say the first, middle, and last name along with some sort of demanding/punishing like voice. For example: "Delanie Lynn Wright, you come over here right this instant." Then we would sit back and try to decide whether or not it sounded OK.

We had high hopes for our unborn children.

It is also no secret that we actually do, in fact, use all three names when want the kids to know that we mean business. There is something about hearing your full name, and not a nickname, that says, "Something serious is about to happen". Apparently, we use this tactic A LOT.

Today, I came home from Delanie's conference at school to find her downstairs playing alone. Scott and Pax were in the shower. Scott had apparently forgotten to bring the towels over by the shower, and they were now "stuck" in the shower with no way of escaping without freezing to death and dripping water all over the bedroom/bathroom while trying to obtain the towels. So, there they were taking an extended shower, while Scott was desperately trying to get Delanie's attention as she played Barbie's downstairs in the toy room.

As I walk in the door:
Scott: DELANIE....
nothing
Scott: DEEELLLLAAANNNIEEEE come up stairs, honey
me: Delanie, is Daddy calling you?
Delanie: (pausing what she is doing to see if she can hear her dad) OH Ya! My Daddy needs me!

Delanie and I run up the stairs in time to see Pax and Scott running for the towels.

Pax: (with is hands on his hips and a slight scowl on his face) DELANIE SCOTT WRIGHT! I trying to call you! You listen me next time!

I can assure you we did not settle on Scott as her middle name. Someone else in our family might or might not have his father's name as his middle name though. A someone who may or may not have been hearing his full name quite a few times this past week.

No comments: