Tuesday, June 10, 2008

I'm Not the Sharpest Tool in the Shed, Brightest Star in the Sky, etc...

This parenting gig, it's hard work. I haven't even gotten to the "difficult years" yet, which are supposed be teenage years, and I am already sweating. I am currently stuck in the potty training years, and if I don't wise up and figure this thing out, I could be here FOREVER.

We were gung-ho on the whole potty training thing for a while because The Little Man seemed so interested and was doing so well. Then he got over it. The novelty of it all wore off quickly. Pretty soon he was just using the potty to amuse us, or if he was a little hungry and we weren't doling out the snacks. He's a quick one that little guy. He knew if he used the potty we were pretty much contractually bound to feed him a treat of some sort. Let's just say he's much quicker than his ol' mom, here.

It just dawned on me early this morning, at around 3:00 am, that I should just make The Little Man run around buck naked from the waist down. Oh, sure I have heard of this method before. I'm not that far behind the eight ball. I just could never understand it. Why, oh why, would people allow their children to run around with out their clothing on (from the waist down) and do their business all over the floors? It made no sense to me what-so-ever. Plus, I am not exactly the most gracious and loving mother when I am hunched over on my hands and knees cleaning up some sort of stinky mess out of my carpet.

Which I will look at forever and remember what happened there.

Yea, I know it probably will only happen a few times before they catch on, but what if it happens more than just a few times? Plus, isn't a few times enough? My carpets are OFF WHITE PEOPLE!

Also, I am too busy cleaning my bathrooms 8 and 9 times a day, to add the carpet to the list is just insulting.

However, this morning, very early, I woke up with an epiphany. We are getting our hardwood floors re-done in just a few weeks. At the same time, we are tearing out the carpet in the living area that connects to the kitchen so it will be all lovely and flow-y, like one big room. I was thinking this morning (at a time that I don't normally think, so I think that this must be a sweet little blessing from God) "Why do I care if he makes a big ol' potty mess all over the carpet? That carpet will only be around for 2 more weeks anyways." And well, as unimpressive as that looks now that I have written it out, that my friends is my big epiphany.

From now until the flooring in our home is redone, my sweet boy will be in the buff, from the waist down. If he doesn't get the hang of using the potty on his own, with out Scott or I having to remind him, in the next two weeks, then he isn't ready yet, and we will go back to the pull-up thing, and we will try again at a later date.

If anything, I will get some good laughs seeing that sweet little booty traipsing all over the house.

As well as photographs...which I will use as blackmail...during those really difficult parenting years.

No comments: