Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Jack Hanna's Wild World of Animals...or Something Close

It's no secret that Delanie and I are Science nerds. We just love to take in the world around us and then try to figure it out. We like to observe, come up with crazy ideas, make things work, and be apart of processes. Imagine our excitement when we went to the mail box yesterday and our next project had arrived via the USPS.

Meet Chasey, Lacey, Blossom, George, and Happy:




Don't you just love their names? Delanie waited a whole 12 hours before she couldn't resist giving each one a name. Because my girl, although she is very scientific, she is also super nurturing, and she pretty much adopts all living things as her children. What kind of mother would she be if each creature she came across didn't have a name, a family, and a whole little story to go along with them? Except for spiders...she quickly squishes those, and asks questions later. I have to say, it's a process I totally appreciate.

Oh yea....The caterpillars...

These little caterpillars will keep us captivated for the next 3 weeks. We get to watch them live as caterpillars, transform into chrysalids, wait until they hatch from their pupas, watch them emerge, see them spread their new wings, and then release them out into the world.

It is one of the coolest things I have witnessed. We've done it another time before, and I was in just as much awe as Delanie was at the time. Even though she was a tender 3 years old, she remembers it just like it was yesterday.

I knew right away that I wanted to do it again with the kids, but I wanted to wait until Pax could watch and appreciate it just as much as Delanie and I. After we opened the box and showed him what was inside, I realized that it very well could be an entire lifetime before he would enjoy this process as much as Delanie and I.

That's OK. We're good at forcing our excitement onto others. Before he knows it, he too will be in love with these little critters.

I just hope I can keep him from forcefully shaking the container before they complete their transformation. I keep getting visions of Darla from Finding Nemo flashing into my head.

We'll be keeping these guys strategically out of reach from the Little Man.

No comments: