Monday, June 2, 2008

We've Been Busy with a Whole Lot of Nothing

When I was thinking tonight, about what I wanted to blog about, nothing came to mind. We've just been living life. Nothing exciting, scary, sad, or funny. We've been happily doing nothing.

Don't get me wrong, we've done many things over the last few days, but somehow it feels like we've done nothing. We've loved being at the pool a few times (not so much love for the painful sunburn I received out of pure pride), playing with our cousins, eating out, eating outside, swinging on the swings, riding our bikes, shopping, planning a birthday party, and trying to decorate a new big boy room. How can all of that be nothing?

It's felt like nothing because we've been able to do it without a time line. I am in no rush to get anything done. There are no activities to rush to. I am not trying to fit a grocery jaunt in between drop off and pick up at school. There is nothing on the calendar except for what we decide to be on the calendar that morning. This is the beauty of summer for me. No rules, no schedules, no time. Day by day living. It's a break from the rest of the year.

I wish we could live like this forever, which is probably why I yearn for this time of year every year. I suppose if it was like this all the time we would get bored and be looking for something to fill our days with, but for now, for a few short weeks before swim lessons start and sports camps begin, I am going to enjoy staying busy with nothing to do.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

I hear ya!

I love doing nothing. Especially the lots of little somethings that equal nothing at the end of the day.

Here's to summer!