Friday, June 20, 2008

It's Like Driving Miss Daisy

I've been known to be a back seat driver, but The Little Man, he takes the cake. It's hard to ride around while someone else is driving and not say anything about their performance. Especially if it is lacking. I always figure that two sets of eyes are better than one, and really I am doing the hubby a favor by letting him know when he can change lanes, if he is going a bit too fast, or if his driving is a little too aggressive for the conditions.

He really appreciates it.

A whole lot.

I kind of know just how he feels now. With in the last 6 or so months, The Little Man thinks he has figured out driving. He knows the difference between a red light and a green light. He also knows what to do at the red and green arrows. So really, he's a driving expert at age three.

Constantly from the back seat we hear, "Oh red light Mommy! You better stop!" It doesn't matter that I am hundreds of feet from the light. He gets very upset if I don't stop right then and there.

Same goes for the green light. "GO MOM! It's green!"

(Don't let those exclamation points fool you into thinking he is excited. Nope, that's a bossy exclamation.)

(Also, if there were some sort of punctuation to show major attitude, I would use that too.)

Scott sometimes tries to reason or teach The Little Man in hopes that he'll tone it down back there. He'll gently say, "Dude, I can't go yet. See all the cars in front of me? When they start moving, then I get a turn to go."

That goes in one ear and out the other. As soon as Scott's explanation is over, all you hear is "GO, GO, GO!"

It's not annoying at all.

I'll admit, I've been caught off guard a time or two. While looking for lip gloss, a cell phone, or chewing gum (while at a red light), I'll hear from the back seat, "MOM! GO! It's green!" It makes me jump a bit and I'll let up off of the brake. Thankfully, each time I've caught myself in time, and not smacked into the car in front of me or gone into an intersection because here's the catch: sometimes the light is green FOR THE CARS GOING THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION. Every once in a while he can see the light for the opposite flow of traffic, and thinks it's for us.

I don't think I could ever explain what happened if I were to get into an accident this way.

I am hoping one of these days Daisy will pipe down in the back seat and just let me drive. For now, I have to turn up the music and try to tune him out.

His future wife is so lucky.

1 comment:

Kari said...

That's so funny- Mason always tells me it's red even when it's not so I'll grab him a new toy. Is it the toddler in them or the boy?!?!