Monday, February 18, 2008

Out of My Element

I am not a friend of snow. Cold weather and I do not get along. I dread Winter. So to say this next statement is CRAZY for me. I went away for a ski get away this weekend.

I'm sure, because of the previous statements, you could guess I don't ski. Yes, I am a Colorado native, and I don't ski...you all can pick your jaws up off the floor. I am not about to start either. I am comfortable with the fact that I am not a skiier. At my age, I have learned some things about myself, and one of those things is I don't ski. I am fine with it.

Scott does ski, however, and he wants our children to ski. You may think this may sway me in some way, but nope. In fact, what I am thinking is, "I am going to have some free weekends coming to me soon."

All of this to say, I did have a GREAT time this weekend. I couldn't believe it. I was kind of dreading this little get away from the day Scott and my brother-in-law came up with this idea. The plan was that, since it was a 3 day weekend, we would do a little skiing, a bit of sledding, and some tubing. I am OK with the tubing and could get slightly excited about a VERY brief sledding trip, for the sake of the children. There also was the added bonus, that we would be staying with the other Wrights in a condo with a hot-tub (right up my ally) and a pool (right up the kids and Scott's alley). That sounded pretty fun. So fun, that I decided to overlook the whole skiing thing and go for it.

I have to say, we had a REALLY good time. It was so fun to get to spend time with the family, cooking, eating, watching the kids play, and eating (we were building layers to keep us warm) . It was also really cold. And windy. And snowy.

On Sunday, we went tubing. I had never been tubing, so this was all very new to me. We had to bundle up really well that morning because, well, it was cold. And snowing. And blowing. I really thought Pax was bundled up so much that he would not be able to walk, but he surprised me and waddled along pretty well. He also surprised me by tolerating tubing for a whole hour in the cold and blowing snow. Of course, I knew Delanie would be a champ, as she went for 2 hours. Here's the shocker...I was out there with Delanie. Scott took Pax up to the lodge to warm up, and I, yes, I stayed out with Lanie and had a BLAST screaming down those tubing hills.

We did the smaller hills, the bigger hills, the fast hills, and the hills with jumps. It was a really good time. Delanie had no fear (neither did Pax). She rode whatever everyone else wanted to ride. She didn't care if we got spun around in circles as we went down the hill, nor did she care that the speeds, at which we were going down some of those hills, could have really hurt someone. She just giggled and kept going back for more.

Speaking of someone getting hurt....on what would become our last run of the day, we decided to ride the hill with 3 jumps. We rode with our Uncle and Cousin as well. As the four of us started down the hill, I had this weird thought in my head, "I wonder if I am sitting too far down in the tube?" That question was immediately answered before I could make any adjustments. As we came down from our first jump, my backside smacked the ground with such a force that I actually heard my tailbone pop. I am not sure which was louder, my tailbone or me yelling an obscenity that could only make a mother proud (I was surprised and ashamed all at once). My brother-in-law assures me he didn't hear anything, but I think he was just being nice. From there, I had some wonderful pains that jetted up and down my spinal column which led to the rest of the muscles in my back to tense up in a way I haven't felt before. Of course, this all led to a wonderful headache.

It was then I reminded myself, I don’t belong out here....I was too far out of my element.

Thankfully, we had the hot tub and a sauna at our condo, which brought me back to something I am a bit more comfortable with. Heat.

Here are a few pictures...apparently my camera doesn't like the cold either....or I forgot to charge it, whatever...I was out of my element, people.


Here are the bundles of joy on their tubes...looks toasty doesn't it?


Here they are afterwards waiting for our bus. Look how happy Pax is after having some hot cocoa in the lodge. I don't know where he gets it from...

No comments: