Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Child's Play

Today was B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L! The sun was shining, and there was no wind. It wasn't 75 degrees, but it felt pretty nice out. Especially in a long sleeved shirt, jeans, and standing in a Southern exposure. I know that sounds like a lot, but hey, I think I made it clear yesterday that I am more of a warm weather lover. Since our house faces South, it was a perfect day for the kids to get out and play, while I sat very close to the bricks on the house that were radiating the heat from the glorious sunshine.

I just love being outside watching the kids play. It's something I miss terribly in the winter months. I love watching them take nothing and make it into something just for the sake of playing. Their imaginations are amazing.

Now that Pax is getting older, and Lanie more independent, I can really sit back and watch what interests them. Sometimes it seems like they are so alike, and then today, all I could see was how different they were. Here's what I saw:

1. While Delanie rode her bike, she corralled wild horses. Princess was fast as lightening and obeyed her every command. Paxton on the other hand revved his motorcycle. He was in the biggest race of the day, and he was the fastest rider out there. He zipped and zoomed all over the neighborhood.

2. Delanie collected beautiful rocks. They all sparkled like gems. They were treasures to be kept. Paxton threw rocks. When he got in trouble for trying to bounce one off of his sister's head, he tried throwing them straight to the ground so he could break the sidewalk. When that didn't work, he wanted to see if he was strong enough to pick up some of our larger decorative rocks like Superman.
3. Delanie found some pieces of ornamental grasses we have growing. She liked the longest pieces she could find. If it still had the fluffy end on it then it was perfect for shining up the bike helmets, combing her hair, and sweeping up the side walk. Paxton found a few twigs too. He was more interested in snapping them in two, using them as walking sticks, and trying to use them as a sword.

4. Delanie, surprisingly, kept pretty clean. Paxton, did whatever he could to dig in the mud, throw dirt clods, and stomp the clods of dirt until they were flattened. He needed a bit of a wipe down when it was time to come in.

I just love how different they are. They are so uniquely themselves. They like a lot of the same things, but are able to see the same things so differently.

While they were busy doing such different things with virtually the same materials, I had to sit back and chuckle a little. Even though they were, at the time, being so different, they both were insistent on one thing: They had to keep their bike helmets on. It's their requirement for being outside. I guess it allows them to feel like they can do anything, like putting on a costume. It's the first thing they do when they go outside to play. Granted, they usually get on their bikes first thing too, so it makes sense. When they are done though, they refuse to take them off...

I wonder if the neighbors think I am a crazy over protective parent that won't let her kids play outside without their helmets on....either that or they are wondering, "What is that lady doing hugging a brick wall?"

I think either way, we must look pretty weird.

No comments: