Friday, February 8, 2008

It's Not Always a Thankless Job

My kids have been taught manners. They know how and when to use please, thank you, you're welcome, bless you, and excuse me. They don't always have the "when" part down, and do need reminders here and there, but for the most part they are pretty good about being polite. I don't think that I have done anything special here, just what most mothers do for their children so when they are out and about with others (and with us), they don't seem like they were raised by wolves. I do have to crack up though when my kids gush with thanks over, what I think, is silly stuff.

For example, there are a few things Paxton will continue to thank me for well after the fact, like his Elmo toothbrush. I bought him a new toothbrush in November this year. It was an Elmo toothbrush. It’s nothing fabulous, just a toothbrush with Elmo on it. I brought it home from Target and opened it. That's it. I have been receiving praise since.

Every night when we brush our teeth it is the same conversation:
"Mommy, you buyed this Elmo brush for me?" Pax asks very excitedly.

"Yes, Son, this is your toothbrush," I reply.

"You opened it for me?" Pax asks even more excitedly.

"Yes, Pax, I opened it for you."

"Oh, Mommy, THANK YOU! Thank you, Thank you. I LOVE my Elmo brush. Oh, thank you, Mommy!" Pax gushes.

What can I do? I say "You're welcome, Son" as sincerely as possible, and happily accept all thanks.

Every night.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

I can completely see him saying that. How hysterical!

Save yourself some money next christmas and just throw in some toothpaste and call it good!