Friday, February 22, 2008

...And My Heart is Happy

Today was another wonderful day outside. Two days this week, and I am feeling good! Instead of just playing in the front yard, we decided to go on a walk/ride. We have a special path that I mapped out in our neighborhood a few years ago. It's "our walk" and it's perfect. The only difference in the past year is that Delanie no longer likes to ride in the jog stroller. At five years old, she is a bike rider. So while she rides ahead, Pax and I walk. Well, I walk and Pax rides solo.

It's perfect.

In the summer time, you can see us on "our path" just about every single day. That is how much we love it. Just a little 2 mile loop around the neighborhood, and I am one happy Momma.

Even though it was a little brisk today, I just enjoyed walking in the FRESH air. My lungs were gulping it up like a tall glass of water. Since the kids were unusually quiet, I think their lungs were doing the same thing. Fresh air does a body good. If they are like me, they were also reacquainting themselves with the neighborhood again. Taking in all the sites, new things, and the beauty of being outside. It seems like forever since our last jaunt.

I had to chuckle a little watching Delanie riding in front of us. She was, at times, trying to go as fast as she could, then slowing down to feel the breeze. When she was peddling fast, I couldn't help but play the song in my head from Wizard of Oz. You know the one, when the evil Miss Gulch has taken sweet little Toto away from Dorothy.

I am not sure what it was about her; her posture, the stiff looking bike helmet that looks eerily familiar to Miss Gulch's stiff hat, or the determination in the peddling. Whatever is was, I couldn't stop humming that song, and now it is in my brain for the rest of the day. Since you just listened to it, I am sure you will be humming it all day too. It is just one of those songs.

After our bike ride, we went to my favorite place to eat with the kids. I am a bit embarrassed to admit it, but hey, in the spirit of being authentic with you all, it's Sweet Tomatoes. I am sorry, but with the kids in tow, there is nothing better than having a large variety, no wait, and free ice cream at the end. Plus, my kids will go hog wild there. We get more than what we pay for, and they eat tons of stuff they wouldn't touch at home like beets, kidney beans, squash, and celery. It's weird, and I just go with it. Added bonus: I always have a coupon.

Perfection.

No comments: