Friday, December 14, 2007

A Wii Bit of Shopping

Today, I was blessed beyond measure as my Mother-In-Law offered to take the kids for the day so that I could get some Christmas shopping in. I have realized that A) Christmas is less than 2 weeks away B) I have not shopped yet and C) Since I have not shopped, there is nothing wrapped. Knowing that I love to see gifts under the tree each year, I thought I better get on it. Thankfully, I knew what I wanted to get people. I just needed to get out there and do it.

Scott decided that he would like a Wii this year. I told him it wasn't happening because there were none to be found, and I wasn't going to be able to sit in lines or wait on delivery trucks each and everyday. He decided it was OK if he didn't get one under the tree, and would settle for one after the mad holiday rush for them was over.

I was discussing this with a friend, who did the whole mad searching and scrapping to get one for her hubby, and she told me she now had an "in", and could probably get me one in time for Christmas! I was elated. This was going to be my biggest Christmas moment EVER! I had it all planned out in my head how this was going to play out. I was going to be this hero who went above and beyond the call of duty to make sure my little honey didn't go empty handed at Christmas. Oh,the look of excitement in his eyes as he opened the gift...it was going to make my Christmas! I almost couldn't sleep that night as I thought about how wonderful it was all going to be.

Since Scott's gift was already planned out to perfection, I had him come along with me to help with the shopping. As we were walking into a store in a strip mall by our house, he mentioned when we were through he would like to go to the gaming store a few stores down. He wanted to see if there was a list we could get our names on for after the holidays for a Wii...or really get any info on how to get one. Going along with my plan of surprise that would re-write all Christmases past, present, and future, I said, "sure, let's go get our names on the list."

Names on a list for a gaming system that people have been known to wait outside of stores at 3AM, that people have been calling stores EVERY day at delivery time to see if there was one on the truck that they could then quickly swoop in and get (some people have been known to take their half naked children, rudely awaken from naps), people are fighting over these things!!! The employee looked at us kind of like we were crazy and replied, "Why would I put your name on a list? We have 3 right here in the store."

ARE. YOU. KIDDING. ME!!!

Of course, Scott doesn't hesitate...He buys one!

My plans. My hopes. My dreams!!!! SHATTERED PEOPLE SHATTERED! I will no longer be the Hero of Christmas this year.

I will say a few things about this...1) My husband is very happily playing his little games like a young boy...very content, and is not wanting for anything, which was the point. 2) Maybe this whole "Hero of Christmas" thing got a bit out of hand, and this was God's way of reminding me that we've already got a "Hero of Christmas"

There will be no substitutions.

Hallelujah!

No comments: