Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Super Market Cowgirl

For the past year and a half, I have refused to take my children to the grocery store. Oh sure, there are times when I don't have a choice, but 9 times out of 10 I will go on a Sunday with out them. Yup, the weekends are really busy at the grocery store, but I will deal with long lines and grocery cart pile ups any day of the week if I can shop in silence. Did you know that they play music at the grocery store? Sometimes I even hum along! Once the kids got old enough to A) not both fit into the cart, and B) very vocally let me know all of their grocery needs, I decided it was time for me to leave them at home napping with daddy, and choose the crowds over the insanity.

Lately, my busy schedule has not afforded me the luxury of going during the Sunday afternoon nap. This leaves me two options. I can go in the evening after dinner with 1 of the children while the other stays home with daddy, or I can take both of them on Monday morning. I am sure you know which one I pick. Although the allure of no crowds beckons me on Monday morning, as well as the idea that I can comfortably veg out for the rest of Sunday evening, all I have do to is remember: 2 children, 1 cart, and 25 aisles. NO COMPETITION!

The past 2 times I have chosen to shop on a Sunday evening, I have taken Delanie with me. I have been so pleasantly surprised at how nice it is to shop with her. There have been some big changes in the past year and a half. For instance, she walks right beside the cart and doesn't wander. She does occasionally hop on the back of the cart making it a bit harder to maneuver, but in all honestly, it is helpful sometimes because it helps me get to where I am going faster, and if I knock something over or run over someones toes, I can blame her causing a blind spot...as opposed to when this happens and I am by myself. Also, she can get things off the shelf for me when told what product is needed. This eliminates WHOLE AISLES sometimes people! Lastly, she provides some good conversation, yes, it is 4 1/2 year old conversation, but conversation none-the-less. I didn't realize that I was actually kind of bored at the super market until she has come along. I learn amazing things from her about her day, who she likes, what happens at school, her hopes and dreams (ok...I am hoping and dreaming on that one), and much more from our little outings. The girl can tell some crazy stories!

Just when I think, "Wow, I have such a grown-up little lady on my hands," she reminds me she is still my little girl.

"Mommy can I have a penny," she asks very nicely.
"What for?" I question.
"I want to ride the horsey. I haven't ridden him in soooo long!" she replies.

Because it has been such a long time, and I loved riding the horse as a kid, I give her a penny and send her on her way. She mounts her horse with joy, and plops that penny in. It jerks and moves...back and forth, back and forth. She is smiling ear to ear. I look back at the cashier and the register to make sure that my loot is ringing up correctly, and just then,

"YEEE HAW!! GIDDY UP Princess!" echos through out the store.

She's the Super Market Cowgirl!

I'll be shopping with her more often.

No comments: