Thursday, December 20, 2007

Love

There is a new Christmas song out this year by Mandisa and Matthew West called Christmas Makes Me Cry . I LOVE it. I will be the first to say that I prefer traditional Christmas songs, and I really don't like to stray too much, but this new song has really touched my heart. There is a particular verse that I have been marinating in for a few days, and now, lucky you, get to read all about what my heart has been camping on.


The verse goes:

I think of Mary and the virgin birth
And I’m amazed at how much God thinks we’re worth
That He would send His only Son to die
And sometimes Christmas makes me cry.

For the past few years I have purposely found some idea to sit on during the Christmas season to keep me focused on the reason we are so full of joy during this time. I have sat on what it must have felt like to be Mary, and all the turmoil she must have had to go through being an un-married mother-to-be. How strong she had to be during what had to be such a frightening time, and how she had to sacrificially give her life to be Jesus' mother.

I have thought about how important it was that Jesus was born in a manger among the lowly and led a life that was not fit for the King he was. Had he been born in a palace and lived a life being served, and treated like royalty, he would never gone through some of the struggles that we have had to go through ourselves, living in a world of sin. We can't ever say "No one knows how I feel/what it's like."

This year, I am trying as hard as I can to fully comprehend how much "God thinks we are worth". For Him to send his "One and only son to die", floors me sometimes, especially now that I am a mother myself.

After having my children, I got to experience a whole new level to the word love. Here was this person that had done nothing to earn my love, but yet I was head over heals. For no other reason except that they were here on this earth. I just can't say that about anyone else.

There is no reason that I shouldn't believe that God felt the same way about his own son. Yet, despite knowing what was going to come of His son's life, he still loved me enough to sacrifice His ONLY son's life for me. And let me just say, this was not an even swap in the least. It was no "eye for an eye" type thing. This was His only son. His PERFECT never sinning son. I mean a son that makes the terms "Angel Baby" or "Angel Child" take on a whole new meaning.

I don't know about you, but I would give my own life for my children in a heartbeat. I love them so much it makes me ache at times. However, as much as I hate to admit, my children are FAR from perfect. Just like us all, they have very ugly moments.

My Father gave up his PERFECT son for me! Little ol', silly, everyday sinning, me. ME! And for you too. That is the kind of love that is so big, no other human could ever give it. That's how much "God thinks we are worth."

That thought alone, is enough for Christmas to make me cry. This year at Christmas, I may cry. It will be tears of thankfulness, tears of hope, and tears of joy.

My prayer for myself and for you is that in the next few days, we would be able to fully comprehend how much God, the creator of the universe, thinks we are worth. To comprehend as much as our human hearts will let us, the kind of love it takes to make the sacrifice that our Father made when he gave up His one and only Son to die. He came to this world for us, and he died for us. I pray that the idea of this never becomes small or out of focus.

Christmas can be busy and hurried, full of fun, a time of giving and receiving. It's hard not to get all wrapped up in all the excitement, but I pray that the main source of that excitement is our hearts understanding, "How much God thinks we are worth". He sent His Son to this earth, fully knowing how it would end...for you and for me.

Hallelujah!

I will choose for my joy, this Christmas, to come from this fact, and then, because I am a emotional person who cries at commercials sometimes, I will cry. Tears of thankfulness, tears of hope, and tears of joy.

May we all walk around blubbering this Christmas!



(in case you're wondering/keeping count, I think that is 2 hallelujahs this week!)

No comments: