Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Spreading Some Christmas Cheer

Tonight we made some baked goods, and in efforts to spread some Christmas joy, were going to package them up and give them to our neighbors. The kids were very excited to do this. Earlier this afternoon, however, they had decided to put on their jammies for the rest of the day. I figured since I hadn't planned on going anywhere, it would be ok. So, after the cookies were made, they (Scott and the kids) were off to deliver cookies to the neighbors in their jammies (for some reason (pure laziness) I felt there was no reason to get dressed back in regular clothing...hmmmm).

Here's Delanie...Very cute jammies and slippers (thank you Grandma Wright) and the coat even coordinates!


And here is my son...ummmm...just a bit different from his sister:



You know it's going to be bad when Scott says, "Oh my goodness honey, you really should get a picture of the Dude's outfit!"

Yup, that would be my son in his new favorite Buzz Light Year jammies (thank you Braden), his camo crocks, a Cars hat (yup it's back!), and his snow jacket. Somehow, not quite the same as his sister...

Can we talk about my boy's new found power in flexing his fashion muscles? As you can see, he has the hat back on...ok, at least it's Winter and not warm out in the least bit. Plus, I don't have to comb his hair. The new jammies are a whole different ball game. He NEVER wants to take them off! NEVER! I fought with him this morning for 15 minutes to get him dressed to take his sister to school and run errands. The only thing that saved me was a promise that he could put them back on as soon as we got home. Trust me, he held me to it.

On Sunday, when I dressed him for church, he insisted he HAD to wear his Car's hat. I told him that the Car's hat isn't something we get to wear to Sunday school. This upset him enough to give me a low growl, and then he traipsed off into his room only to return with his Car's tennis shoes. He told me, "Mommy I can't wear Car's hat, but I will wear my Car's shoes instead, OK?" Somehow I distracted him long enough to get him out of the house with some shoes that matched.

I am beginning to realize, that I have an uphill battle on my hands, and I could just be at the base of that hill. Unlike Delanie, who wants to look cute and takes all my suggestions, my son doesn't care. He wants to wear what he wants to wear and what he thinks is cool. My opinion on the matter is not appreciated...not in the least.

Let me just say, I don't really care all that much what he wears when we are at home, or running errands here and there, but there are some places I feel like I have to draw the line, and church is one of them.

Some might say, "Well just don't get him stuff that you don't want him to wear, and then it won't matter." That sounds really good on paper, but doesn't really work. I have come to find that even if stuff is dirty, or "lost" my boy will still find a way to flex that fashion muscle. Plus, let me post that picture again so you can see the look on his face when he has all his favorite stuff on:

Pure JOY I tell you! JOY!

So, with that in mind, I think I better start liking, no loving, the taste of humble pie.

No comments: