Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Giving Myself a Little Pat Pat

Today, I broke the sound barrier...in my world. I have never claimed to be a fast runner. In fact, most would call what I do a jog. I won't even go into exact times here people, but let's just say that I run (ok jog) at a moderate pace. I will admit though, when I first got my Garmin watch, and I down loaded my first run off it, I looked at the fabulous chart that showed how fast I ran and the elevation changes, and found that I was much slower than I thought. I mean, this software was telling me I was considered a "Fast Walker"! WHAT!!! I KNOW what I was doing was running, and further more, I would LOVE to see someone "walking" at that speed. There would be so much arm swinging and booty shaking, that I would probably die of laughter. Thankfully, Scott and I found the settings and were able to make some adjustments. Apparently, it was set up for an Olympian because it didn't even consider you running until you were at a 6 minute mile (That's REALLY fast folks).

I digress.

Today, my sister in-law, who is not quite at Olympian standards, but is just a few minutes shy, blessed me with a run today. We ran about 4.5 miles, although I am sure she ran much further because of all the running ahead and then turning back around to pick me up again business.

I have been trying for quite a while (read 5 months) to reach a running time goal. Today, I was set up for success. I am not sure if it was the cooler weather, that we were inappropriately dressed for the cooler weather, or that my speedy, super woman sister-in-law provided me with just enough inspiration, but whatever it was, it pushed me right on over the edge. I am happy to say that I reached my goal and even beat it by 6 seconds...may not sound like much I know, but for a "Fast Walker" it's big!

Thanks Jen!

No comments: