Monday, November 12, 2007

The Stages of Life

Obviously, I know there is a LARGE gap in the maturity level between Pax and Lanie. Sometimes though, it is just so obvious I have to laugh.

Today, we went to Super T to buy gifts for our "Operation Christmas Child" package. Lanie had to decide whether or not she wanted to give to a boy or a girl, and then what age she would like to get for. She really wasn't too excited about this adventure. I am sure she just thought it was another reason for mom to hit Super T. However, after showing her the brochure and letting her look through the pictures of the kids that receive these gifts, she did get pretty excited about giving a gift to someone in need...very mature of her, I think.

At first she picked a girl, but after going through the toothbrush/toothpaste section, she changed her mind and chose a boy because she thought they had "cooler toothbrushes". Really at the end of the day, it is all about the toothbrush isn't it? She was really getting into picking out what she wanted to get off of the suggested list of items to put into the box.

Pax, however, was on the opposite end of the spectrum. Let me just be up-front about this...I DID NOT expect him to get this project. That is why just Lanie was participating. It was very funny to me though to sit and observe the vast difference just 2.5 years will make in a child's life! On one side of the cart, I have Delanie who is very concentrated on what she would like this little boy to have, and which one (of whatever) he would like the best. In the cart I have sweet little Pax who is yelling out "Mine!", "Me want that!" and "Mommy, you buy that for me". Not to mention "Give me", "Me need to have it", and my favorite "Mommy, I just wuv this...NEED IT!" In his defense, he is only 2, and we were looking at toys for a boy. Also, don't forget Super T's toy section is in prime condition for the up-coming holiday season. Only the best of the best is out right now. Even a lady shopping in the same aisle as us, started laughing out loud. I even had Lanie try to explain to Pax what she was doing:

Lanie: Brother, we are going to get a little boy presents who doesn't have any toys
Pax: No, no boy presents...just me...Need that Diego!
Lanie: No not for you for another little boy
Pax NOOOOOO me!

Maybe next year he'll understand better? Unlikely, but we will keep trying!

No comments: