Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The Lure of the Bus

For about 2 months now, my kids (ok and I) have been having a wonderful love affair with the TV series Scholastic's Magic School Bus. Both the books and the videos provide us with hours of scientific joy. For those of you unfamiliar with the series, it is a show about a science class (maybe 4th graders?) and their crazy teacher Ms. Frizzle ("The Friz" for short). The Friz takes them on wild field trips in order to help them understand many different scientific phenomenas such as volcanoes, the water cycle, the solar system, the science of flight, etc. via the Magic School Bus which can shrink, fly, float, whatever it takes to literally get "inside" the science of it all. It is a show that I have no problem what-so-ever allowing my kids to watch hours of. Surprisingly, Pax likes it as much as Lanie does, and even will request a Magic School Bus book for story time before bed.

We've been lucky, the last few times we've gone to the library, there has been at least 1 video and a handful of books of this, apparently, very popular series. Since it was new to us, we haven't had any issues with having to settle for repeat performances. That was until last week. There were no videos at all for check out, and I thought it would be OK to settle for the just a few books. Wrong. Delanie devoured the 3 books I was able to get a hold of in 3 days, and then decided it was imperative that we get the video of the book about volcanoes. Off to the Internet I went. I was determined to hunt down our videos on our library's online catalog and place a hold on them. Not too surprisingly, they were all checked out and there was a wait for all of them. Delanie was understandably upset about the wait, but was willing to flex her patience muscles because she knew the payoff would be worth it.

Well, today was the day! I got a call while Lanie was in school that some of our holds had come in. I was so excited you would have thought I just got the call that I had just won some wonderful shopping spree at Super T. I had to get them while she was still in school so that I could surprise her when she got in the car with our new loot! When I got to the library, I was so pleased to see that the volcano episode was one of the goodies waiting for us...this was going to be the BEST DAY EVER!

As Lanie hopped into the car, she squealed with delight as she saw what was waiting for her in her carseat. Then she saw the volcano video and let out an even louder squeal! I could hardly wait to get home and pop it in while the kids and I ate lunch. In case, you're wondering, it was all it was hyped up to be. We've been in Magic School Bus Nirvana all afternoon.

If only I could get my hands on my own Magic School Bus. There are so many mysteries that I would love to solve via my ride on the bus. For example, what's going on in my son's little brain when he decides that only when we are running late for something he must fill his diaper? There is also the elusive mystery behind why neither my children or husband can hear a single thing coming out of my mouth if there is a TV on anywhere in our home. Lastly, how much work would I really get done if I wasn't spending so much time looking for sippy cups? These are the great mysteries that we may never find the answers to...If only we had the bus!

Seat belts everyone!!!

No comments: