Thursday, November 29, 2007

The Power of a Dum Dum

I have recently (since Halloween) come to find the hidden secret mommy power behind candy. What I mean is, I can usually get the kids to behave/do things that they normally don't just do with candy as an incentive. Oh sure, some people call it bribery, and claim that you shouldn't (and they would never) bribe their children...of course their children are under the age of 12 weeks, but I call it Mommy Power.

Today, I needed some Mommy Power as we headed out to Super T. The chosen weapon of choice...A Dum Dum! I didn't even know that Paxton could eat a sucker (safely) until we visited Santa at the mall, earlier in the week, and he supplied both children with some Mommy Power. It was BEAUTIFUL! I strolled the mall calmly and quietly, and window shopped without anyone screaming or asking for stuff.

After our last few battles with the children at the stores (due to the holiday madness), I knew I couldn't leave the house without serious arsenal. Since the sucker worked so well at the mall, I went for it again. I was not let down.

I did, however, feel a bit guilty listening to my children's reactions to my telling them they were going to get suckers at Super T.

me: Guess what guys? When we get to the store, I have a surprise for you!
Delanie: ooooohhh Yummy! What is it? (she already knew it would be food?)
Pax: Treat! treat! Me want a treat! (he does too?)
me: Yup a sucker!
Squeals of delight from both children
Delanie: Oh Yummy! When I get a sucker, it keeps me nice and quiet! I love suckers! (how does she know this is the plan?)
Pax: MMMMMM Suckers make me sooooo happy, Mommy...I love suckers! (Sooooo happy? Is his happiness really that wrapped up in sweets?)

What have I done?

Wait don't answer that...I don't have a plan B.

1 comment:

Robin said...

I am SO right there with you, Mandie! Bummer that "don't offer sweets as incentives" usually shows up on those 'rules of good parenting' lists. Oh well... whatever works (and gets you some time to shop in peace)!!