Friday, November 23, 2007

All Aboard!

After a wonderful Thanksgiving Day dinner yesterday, where we were blessed as a family to be able to sit around a table in a warm home, with more than enough food, no major illnesses/health concerns, and as a family who actually all get along well; my family (Scott and the kids) spent the day together preparing for Christmas. Scott was thrilled to be pulling boxes and crates from the basement full of Christmas decorations and memories, and the great transformation began.

OK, so my home doesn't go through a GREAT transformation. I've seen some people's homes where you can barely recognize it from it's former self during the Christmas season. However, my home does get what would be comparable to a mini-face lift or a chemical peel. We have the 2 trees, one for the family, and one for mommy...no one else cares about having a tree that is coordinated and has each ornament placed just so.

The family tree is so special to me (and hopefully the kids too). Each year it has more and more ornaments as each child adds their yearly ornament, as well as any ornament gifts they make or we receive. As each one is unwrapped, we talk about who it belongs to and when they got it. Pax really wasn't in the reminiscent mood today, but did put a few on the tree that were not breakable. He really thought it was a game. If he got it on the branch with out it falling on the first try, there were cheers and hoots all around. Lanie wanted all her ornaments in one spot. I had to delicately explain to her balancing out the tree with ornaments so that it looks beautiful no matter where you stand. Still she wanted all hers in one area so she could sit and look a them. Eventually, we got them all spread out.

Then of course there are the mantels, vases, and banisters. New this year, a Nativity scene for the glass table. Pax is very quiet when he is around the Nativity scene...he doesn't want to wake the baby up..."Shhhh," he says, "This baby is asleep." One day he'll fully understand how precious that little baby is, and that all this fuss is all about Him. We still have another 1/2 day of decorating, and then we will call it good. Of course, at the bottom of one of the crates today was The Polar Express!

Even though I am not fond of the snow, it was perfect that it was falling today. It was a very gentle snow, similar to getting a dusting of powder sugar all day. It just made the home even more cozy as we played Christmas music and worked our way through the boxes and crates. It also reminded me of the snow that falls through out the movie, and had me very anxious to get in my pj's, climb into bed with my kids and hubby, with hot cocoa, and watch in wonder. Pax joined us this year, and was super excited to watch the "Train Movie" in mommy and daddy's bed with the lights off...And what's this in my sippy cup? It was warm cocoa...a very special treat! Of course, the movie did not disappoint. Both kids loved it, as did I. It was a very special night. I can't wait to see their faces in 2 weeks when they find out they get to ride on a real Polar Express when we visit the Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad.

Of course, I took some pictures...and even used the self timer so I could get in on the action...lucky you!

Here are my two little snugly bubs waiting for the movie to start:


Pax...who has no idea as to what's in store for him:


Delanie, who knows exactly what to expect, and can hardly wait:


And the whole fam thanks to self timer and an amoir...that just paid for itself hehe:

(if you're wondering about my very chic jammies, sorry they're a limited addition...no more left)

Of course there was no photography allowed during the actual viewing of the movie, but trust me memories were made.

No comments: