Thursday, November 24, 2011

At Least I Posted on Thanksgiving Day

So, my track record posting here each day is less than stellar.  I realize this.  However, I was bound and determined to be here on Thanksgiving day.  

Tuesday, November 22nd:
So thankful that today is the last day of the school week.  I don't know about the kids, but I am so looking forward to having some time off of school.  Some time not to pack lunches, not to wake up early, and NO HOMEWORK!  I am also looking forward to spending some time with them at home.

With me. 

I love and am thankful for that part the most. 

I am also thankful for the walk that The Hubs and I got to take together today.  It was so nice to be able to re-connect in the middle of the day.  I am thankful for his job that allows him to work from home, which allows for spontaneous walks.  I think that Gracie (the dog) was thankful too!

Wednesday, November 23:
I am so thankful for the time I got to spend with the kids today. Before I got out of bed, I had some wonderful prayer time.  I asked the Lord to help me to be especially intentional with them today.  Without His help, I can sometimes lean more towards the "go find something to do with your sister/brother, while I find interesting things on the computer" method.  Yup, I can be a pretty stellar mom sometimes.  But I really wanted something different for today.  And I loved how our day turned out.

We started off by planning some fun Christmas activities, since, you know, December starts next week.  Then we watched a couple of cartoons together (I cleaned up breakfast as well).  After that, we went on a walk together (the kids rode their scooters while I walked).  I loved watching them have so much fun riding around, racing each other, trying new tricks.  The sky was super blue, and I had the perfect praise music the whole walk.  It really was a wonderful 35 minutes.  Even the dog did pretty well on her leash, and I didn't have to clean up after her once.  That's huge!  Later, we went to lunch together, and ate out on the patio.  The weather was stellar, and the kids and I were able to have some great conversation.  I am so thankful that we are in a stage of conversation.  I love hearing what's on their minds and hearts.  Next, we did a little Christmas ornament shopping.  We were bummed to find out that we were not going to find the types of ornaments we were looking for in the stores, and would have to go online instead.  It's just not as fun online.  However, when we got home, we decided that something a little more personal would be better.  So, using our Halloween pics, we made our own ornaments through a photo site.  I'm excited to see how they turn out.  Then, we wrapped up the day enjoying some Survivor together.   I am just so thankful for the time we got to spend together. It was just what my mommy heart needed. 

Today:
Today, I am thankful for my family.  We were so blessed to have both sets of parents, as well as an uncle of mine, over to our home today.  The house was full, but not overwhelming, the food was good, and the conversation nice.  Everything seemed to be low-key.  I got to try my hand at making my first pumpkin pie, and I was pretty impressed, if I do say so myself. 

Our parents are so important to us, especially in this past year.  It was nice to have them around the table, and to give thanks together.  We did not have had the best set of circumstances this year, so it was nice to have those who understand the weight of it all, and who could appreciate the gratitude that we have in our hearts. 

I loved and was thankful for my devotional today (Jesus Calling by Sarah Young) which reminded me of the importance of thankfulness:

"Thankfulness takes the sting out of adversity.  That is why I have instructed you to give thanks for everything.  There is an element of mystery in this transaction.  You give me thanks (regardless of your feelings), and I give you joy (regardless of your circumstances)."

It goes on to say, "Thankfulness opens your heart to My Presence and your mind to My thoughts. You may still be in the same place, with the same set of circumstances, but it is as if a light has been switched on, enabling you to see from My perspective.  It is this Light of My Presence that removes the sting from adversity."

What a great reminder on this day of thankfulness. 

Lord, help me to see all the things that you have placed in my day that are worthy of gratitude.  Thank you for loving me so much that you have gone before me and placed little treasures for me to find.  Open my eyes to your gifts.  Help my heart to trust you in all circumstances, giving thanks to you for your promises, which I can hold onto with assurance, despite the adversity that life brings.  Amen.

No comments: