Thursday, November 3, 2011

Looking in the Right Direction

1.  So thankful, today, for the warm sunshine to return.  After a snow day, like yesterday, it's always good to see the sun again.

2.  On Thursdays, I have been volunteering in The Little Man's classroom teaching some of the higher level math kids in a small group.  After having a few lessons fall a bit short, I was so thankful today for a smooth flowing lesson, where all the kids participated, and where no one was left behind.  I am really enjoying doing some teaching again, and am amazed at the change in my heart towards this.  Since having children of my own, I was certain I would never return to the classroom again.  Teaching and raising my own kids at the same time sounded like a nightmare.  In the last few months, God has really changed the way I feel about this.  It's actually been an answer to prayer.  Even though the answer looks so much different than what I expected, I can see how He is answering. 

3.  On the same note, I am thankful for the opportunity given to me today to come back and do some substitute teaching next week.  I am excited to get back into the classroom, and also nervous to find out how rusty I really am.

4.  I am thankful for this blog post that I stumbled upon while on Pintrest today.  Each year I try to find something to prepare our hearts for the holiday season, and I think this is it.  I know she did her 35 random acts of kindness to celebrate her 35th birthday, but I think I may adapt this for advent this year.  I have been thinking all day of all sorts of different ways we can serve and show the love of Christ to others in our own community.  While I do have some ideas of my own, I am totally going to steal many of hers.  I can't wait!

All in all it was a great day.  I felt like I was continually looking for that "thing" to be thankful for.  So much better than finding something to be crabby about!  The Lord gave me this great reminder before I started my day today:

"Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful." -Col 4:2 NIV

I also loved the way The Message translated the same verse:

"Pray diligently. Stay alert, with your eyes wide open in gratitude."

A good reminder that I must be devoted/diligent to being thankful.  My eyes need to be "wide open".

No comments: