Saturday, November 12, 2011

Doubling Up...Again!

November 11
Today, I am thankful for the gorgeous weather we have been blessed with this far into fall.  It has allowed me to enjoy walks either in the morning or afternoon.  While I miss running (I've been sidelined for about a month now due to a nagging injury that happened back in March), I'm enjoying being able to share these walks with both the dog and The Little Man.  Most of the time The Little Man brings his scooter along and zooms way out in front of me, driving the dog crazy since she insists on being "lead dog".  Today, however, The Little Man decided he wanted to challenge himself and run the whole way.  I am happy to report: He did great! 

He did not run the entire distance, choosing to stop and walk a couple of times, but once he caught his breath he was back at it again.  Towards the end of the route, he was needing some encouragement.  So I started challenging him to make it all the way to a chosen landmark without stopping.  As he arrived to each chosen spot, he would look back at me with a huge smile on his face and wait for me to give him a thumbs-up.  Then we would choose a new spot and start again.  The last leg of the walk was the longest.  As I watched him run off into the distance I could see that several times he was struggling.  He kept grabbing at his side and his steps would slow.  Just when I thought he would stop, he would pick up his pace again.  As I came around the corner to see him waiting for me at our chosen landmark, he looked at me with the biggest smile on his face.  I hollered out, "Did you make it?"  His thumbs went up. 

As I got closer, he told me, "Mom, I can't believe I did it!  I kept wanting to stop, but I just wouldn't let myself.  Then when I got here, I almost started crying I was so happy.  I did it, Mom!  I did it!  I just can't believe it!"

I love it when my kids realize they are capable.  When they try and try and then achieve.

I am thankful I got to see this achievement by The Little Man.

On a not-so-tender note, I am also thankful for Harry Potter 7 part 2, which came out on DVD today.  I loved it just as much at home as I did in theaters. 

Today, I am thankful for an early photo shoot which freed up the rest of my Saturday to do nothing.  Well, I did go grocery shopping.  Other than that, there were just some small house chores and a Harry Potter marathon.  I am also thankful because, after today, I officially have a couple week break from photography.  After a busy, "busy season", I am looking forward to catching my breath.

1 comment:

betty said...

WTG to your little man for his running accomplishment!! Sounds like you had a great day planned for today; enjoy the rest of the weekend!

betty