Wednesday, February 25, 2009

It's All About The Food

I am currently having food issues. I usually do this time of year, when my "Winter Menu" becomes boring and overused, but it seems so wrong to toss together a fresh, cool salad when the thermometer doesn't budge beyond 30 degrees. (Yes, I know it has been unseasonably warm in these parts the last few days, but generally speaking, February doesn't scream salad to me.) For the same reason, I also refuse to cook chili while in the grips of July heat (I CANNOT WAIT!). It's just wrong in both scenarios. So this is typically the time of year that I go out searching for something new and exciting for the menu.

I am not a cook by any means of the word, do not become confused, but every once in a while, I do come upon a recipe or two that make me look amazing because they are so simple and so, so good. Since I am dying for new recipes and am spending a considerable amount of time looking for the perfect ones, I thought I would share, for those that are in the same boat.

Surprisingly (or maybe not), both recipes are a smokey Southwest type recipe. The first one is from a Pampered Chef cook book. It's Called Adobo-Glazed BBQ Chicken. It is smokey, sweet, and spicy all at the same time. I have served it with a Mexican/Spanish style rice, but I am dreaming of the day that it will adorn a fresh, crisp salad with corn, cheese, tortilla strips, and maybe a small smattering of black beans. It is heaven, and Hubs loved it too.

Of course he did. It was spicy.

Here you go:
Chicken:
2 TBSP of Smoky Barbecue Rub (I used a McCormick's rub called Mesquite)
2 tsp vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves, pressed
8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (I used chicken breasts)

Adobo-Glaze and Garnish:
1-2 TBSP seeded and finely chopped canned chipotle peppers (about 3-4 peppers) **DO NOT FORGET TO SEED THESE BABIES (not that I would know from experience or anything, but they are HOT)**
1TBSP adobo sauce from the peppers
1/2 cup of honey
1 TBSP Smoky Barbecue Rub
1 TBSP Cider Vinegar
1 Medium green onion with top (I omitted this part since it is just a garnish)

Directions:
Prepare grill for direct cooking over medium-high heat. For chicken, combine rub, oil, and garlic in a mixing bowl. Add chicken, toss to coat; cover and refrigerate until ready to grill.

For glaze, remove and discard seeds from chipotle peppers. Finely chop peppers. Whisk chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, honey, rub, and vinegar in a bowl. Reserve half of the glaze for serving.

Grill chicken. Glaze the chicken with a brush the last few minutes of grilling.

Spoon reserved glaze over chicken and top with green onion to serve.

It is DELISH

If you are not sure what to do with the rest of your chipotle peppers, and feel wrong about throwing them out, then check out this recipe.

It will flat knock your socks off.

Especially if you add some of this.

And this.

DO NOT forget this. (I realize that these look like all of the same recipe according to the picture, but they are indeed three different recipes for garnish)

And have mercy, the CHEESE. Don't forget cheese.

You will need to invite some friends over to help you with this recipe, as it serves many. They will be so happy you did. Trust me, I was one of those friends.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Ann-Marie (a.k.a. Mommy) said...

This sounds delicious! I can't wait to try it. Thanks--A-M