Tuesday, February 10, 2009

I'm No Longer a Spring Chicken, You Know!

I am having sleeping problems. I guess that doesn't accurately describe the issue. I can fall asleep just fine, and if left alone I could sleep soundly for hours on end. My bed has become my enemy. I simply cannot get comfortable in that thing any longer. It annoys me to see that I am the only one having an issue with this fact. It also annoys me that the bed isn't even that old yet.

Hubs sleeps just fine. He wakes up refreshed and pain free. I, on the other hand, wake up feeling like I have been in a fight all night long, and lost. My back and my hips are the worst.

Finally after a really bad night last week, I went to Costco and bought a Tempur-Pedic type mattress topper. My sister has one as well and said she really liked hers. I thought for sure this was going to solve all my problems. They are so squishy yet so firm.

The first night, I was so excited to try the thing out, that I couldn't really sleep because, well, I was excited. I tried out all sorts of different positions just to see which ones were the most comfortable, and tested out if I was able to stay that way for a long time. The next night was a test for the hips and lower back. That night was just OK. I slept the same as I did without the mattress topper. My hips and back felt fine, but I noticed my upper back and shoulders were not quite right. This morning I woke up and I felt like someone had ripped my shoulder out of the socket and then tried to jam it back into place.

I JUST WANT TO SLEEP.

Please.

Pretty Please.

And without hurting would be nice.

If I am not asking too much.

Believe it or not, I am giving the mattress topper another chance tonight. The shoulder is feeling a little better, and the information pamphlet that came with the topper said that "Some customers don't experience the full benefits of the product for up to a few weeks after using it."

I will not wait a few weeks.

I will give it another chance though.

Here's why: First of all, I can return it, but the king size topper came rolled up in a ball that was the same size as a child's sleeping bag. So it's safe to say, that I am not sure how we are going to get it back into the box. When we cut the plastic tie that was holding it in a ball, it was like unleashing a self-inflatable river raft that seats 6 in our bedroom. Thankfully, no lamps were lost in the process. Secondly, if I give up on this option all I can think about is that I might get stuck with one of these.

I wasn't expecting to go that route this early in life.

As I stare at that website, thoroughly exhausted, I am tempted.

No comments: