Tuesday, August 19, 2008

We Managed to Stay Injury Free

I realized that we haven't been taking advantage of the beautiful summer weather as much as we should. We had three straight days of yucky rain and pretty cool temps. It was at that moment I was afraid the season had changed, and I didn't get to say goodbye to summer. No more messing around. We are going to soak it in as long as we can from here on out.

I made the kids go outside today after lunch. They were actually excited as well. I guess it had been a long time since we'd been outside to play. Why do we take the beautiful weather for granted come the end of the summer? They did their usual things; The Girl looking for bugs and mud, and The Little Man trying to find rocks to throw.

Then The Little Man went into the garage and found his baseball bat and ball. He came out with a gleaming grin on his face and said, "This is my baseball bat and ball dat Grandma gave me for my birdday!" Then he went on to ask, "Do you want to pway with me and use my stuff?"

How do you say no to that?

As The Little Man and I got started, with me throwing the ball and he trying to hit the ball, The Girl saw what we were doing, and quickly wanted to join in on the action. So I made her the catcher. Each child got 10 swings before they had to give up the bat for their sibling to have a turn.

First, I wished I had a camera. I also wish that the camera had someone else behind it besides me. I would have loved to see us. I also would love to have that memory as a picture. After thinking about how I wished I had a camera and what we would look like, I also couldn't help but think of America's Funniest Videos.

Weird, but true.

I can blame it on my Spin instructor who put an AFV video on this morning in class.

Seriously though, I kept thinking about all the videos I have seen where there is this cute little family just trying to have some fun playing America's favorite past time. Then WHAM-O! Someone gets hit in the head, gut, or crotch with either the bat or ball. Somehow, there was a camera there taking in all the footage to keep for all of time, and now is trying to win money as a result of their injury.

Even though there wasn't a camera present, I thought about what was going on. We had a mom, a five and a half year old, and a three year old...and we were playing baseball.

I made everyone take a few steps back and away from one another before we continued on.

No comments: