Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Happy Birthday Big Guy

I love that my kids get so excited about birthdays. It doesn't matter that it's not their day, but it is a special day, so it is fun. I tried really hard to feed into their enthusiasm and did some special stuff for Hubby.

1. I let them hit,er spank, their Daddy as much as they wanted to so he could get the appropriate number of spankings for his birthday. I did make them stop though when it came time to "pinch to grow an inch" as it seemed like they were enjoying the hitting, er spanking, a bit too much.

2. I tried so hard to do something special for the Hubby today. Hubby doesn't really care one way or the other if there is any type of party or special thing planned. Birthday's just aren't a very big deal to him. I like to make birthdays special, and I like surprises. So even though we didn't have anything extravagant planned, I did want to have something special. I planned to get the kids involved in picking out some special cards and helping make some brownies from scratch. It was supposed to be a surprise, and a fun time for the kids.

After the kids found a Star Wars card that played the theme music, and got a whiff of the sweetness that was brownie batter, The Little Man cracked. He couldn't contain himself. I think he lasted about 1.5 seconds and then said, "Daddy we got you the best Star Wars card and made yummy brownies!"

Scott, knowing it was supposed to be a secret, and that I would be upset that the plans had been foiled, responded with, "Buddy! You're not supposed to tell people their Birthday Surprises."

The Little Man's eyes got big like saucers as if he knew he messed up, and he quickly responded with, "Just kidding! Daddy, that was just a joke, OK?"

I don't know what I was thinking when I thought he could keep all that goodness to his three-year-old-self. Maybe next year.

3. After making pancakes and bacon for his birthday dinner, I now know what the perfect gift would've been...an electric skillet. Why oh why do we not own a skillet? How many pancakes, French Toasts, and grilled cheese sandwiches do we have to make in order for us to get it into our heads that being able to cook more than 2 items at a time would be beneficial for a family of four? So after cooking two pancakes at a time for seven people all while hovering over my mother who was working the other burner with the bacon on it, I think I got to sit down to pancakes about 30 minutes after the first people finished their dinner, and were asking for second helpings.

I am putting a stop to the insanity this week.

4. I love that for the next 7 months I get to tease Hubby about how old he is. It starts today, and will not end until my birthday comes in March.

Good times,people, good times.

Hubby, I hope you have had a wonderful Birthday. It wasn't extravagant and there were no special surprises, but I do hope that you were able to enjoy the day...as much as your aged body will let you.

No comments: